Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A54 loses GPS functionality after screen-off (maps, waze, etc.)

(Topic created on: 26-05-2023 01:02 PM)
Dex_point_exe
Explorer
Options

Hello,

My A54 loses all GPS functionality if i use any GPS app (like Google Maps) with prolonged (> 5-30 minutes) screen-off.

When this happens, Maps and all other apps that use GPS only get GPS signal again after closing all apps that use GPS.

Screenshot_20230526_132458_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230526_125343_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230526_123913_Maps.jpg

 i have tried/checked that:

Energy saver is OFF

Data saver is OFF

Adaptive baterry OFF

Unused apps to sleep OFF (also tried adding apps to never sleeping, no luck)

Battery usage UNRESTRICTED/unoptimized

Allow background data ON

Allow background usage ON

Location permission set to Always for concerned apps

I have done a Factory Reset today, All resulting in the exact same issue. Im starting to think my unit is defective as i cant find any similar complains and this is very basic functionality.

Can anyone confirm that they are using navigation with prolonged screen-off without issues? As long as the screen is on, the apps work fine.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Members_cZMRp1q
First Poster
Options

Hi, what is Your 3th part app? 

0 Likes
DegsyR
Student
Options
I too, are having the same issues, strange thing is it will track when using my ebike app, but will not tracking in Strava or OS maps, hoping Samsung will sort it out soon.
What 3rd party app did you use?
bb55
First Poster
Options

Twice when using Google maps...one in a dark area of travel, and another on City streets my maps went crazy.  Lost location, and showed me two streets to turn at once, pointing in different directions.  I turned it off/on at both times, but it still did not work. Luckily I carry my Garmin with me, that has worked for many years.  This is ridiculous.  I would think that Samsung would add a fix to this.  This is my first, and most likely last Samsung phone.

0 Likes
jcdoming
Student
Options

Same problem with a A53 5G. Started happening last week in Strava and OsmAnd when recording tracks (no problems for months before that). When screen turns off it keeps recording the correct position for a while and after that it only records the position every few minutes, so my tracks end up having big jumps between points. This is unacceptable for my intended use. Don't know what is causing it. It's not battery saver, deep sleep or anything related. Tried leaving the screen on and didn't have a problem.

0 Likes
jcdoming
Student
Options

I think I've got a solution, at least for me. I did this with Strava, but should work with any app. Go to "App Info" (little (i) icon in top right corner when you long press on the app) and under "Usage" go to "Battery", then select "Unrestricted". It worked for me today, although I can't be sure it will work all the time (I didn't have this problem for almost a year until last week, so very unreliable). I see that OP had this setting already and that it didn't do the trick. It is most certainly a bug. Good luck everyone.

0 Likes
Kanoobi
Explorer
Options

I see what you mean now. In a previous reply, I explained that I use Modes and Routines to have a light come on when I reach my home location. After using my A54 for a few months I noticed that the location/GPS was triggering my routine quite late, and sometimes not at all. I discovered it was due to the screen being off, which was never a problem on my A52. I have come up with a work around for my needs: at first I was going to use an app to keep my screen on until I got home, but instead I have Google Maps come on automatically as I walk to the car park, set to navigate home, then I start the navigation on Google Maps before I leave, so in effect my phone screen is kept on for the journey home. It works without issue now. I also use the location option to stop my music playing when I reach the petrol station, without any problems.

Another indication of this problem is if I set Google Maps to come on automatically, with it set to navigate home, and my screen is on, then when I look at the phone screen all I have to do is press the start button on Google Maps. If however my screen was off when Maps automatically came on, and set to navigate home, it doesn't work. I have to choose navigate home manually and then press the start button. This is because Maps can't see my location and set navigate to home with the screen off.

0 Likes
Tom SL
Journeyman
Options

New A54 5G (A546U, UI 5.1,  Android 13, Nov 1 2023) doesn't handle GPS connection problems gracefully. When I enter my local grocery store my phone locks up and restarts as soon as an app tries to get location info. I had originally thought this was a hardware issue and exchanged my phone but replacement NEW phone acted the same way. FINALLY found that turning off location stopped the issue. As a temporary workaround I set all apps to only use location "In the app" or not at all. This is NOT an acceptable fix. In the store if I try to run an pp that gets location, the phone locks up and hangs immediately. Once I leave that store, NO PROBLEMS. I don't care what signal issues the store may introduce - it shouldn't lock up and reset.  P.S. no difference with WIFI OFF, NFC OFF, 2G OFF, 5G OFF, etc. ONLY LOCATION setting and use has an effect.

0 Likes
Sampy
First Poster
Options

I have just started getting the same problem with an A52 5g, I notice that this never really solved and I'm hoping somebody can help. One person metioned setting up a 'Routine' so that location stays on but I don't know how to create a Routine. I am a walk leader and have been recording my routes on Wikiloc, Routes and Osmand for years. Now all of a sudden it looses the location when the screen lock is on, which I do beacsue the phone is in my pocket. Very fustrating.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Sampy: To create a Routine, please swipe up from your Home screen > Settings > Modes and Routines > Routines > Tap the + in the top right > If > App opened > Select the relevant app > Done > Then > Location > On. 

You may also wish to head to Settings > Apps > Select the relevant app > Mobile data > Allow background data usage > On > Back > Battery > Unrestricted. I hope this helps. 

0 Likes