Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A54 5G Battery draining after few days

(Topic created on: 13-04-2023 10:57 AM)
VincentKen
Explorer
Options

Hi all,

has anyone noticed battery draining after few days of usage? I leave my phone without WiFi overnight on Power Saving mode with 4G/3G/2G enabled. For the first few nights the phone uses minimal battery capacity (1-2 %), but after few days it uses over 15%. Usually restart helps.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

299 REPLIES 299
Ray42
Voyager
Options
The Good Guardians Battery Tracker gives you more detailed info on battery usage...might be helpful.
VincentKen
Explorer
Options

Yesterday, I was able to finally see the pattern that triggers the battery draining. I used the phone in the same way as other days, however there was a short phone call in the morning. After it the battery just went down. Phone reboot fixed the problem as it is visible on the battery usage.

Is any Samsung person able to comment on this if a fix is coming? Rebooting phone after a phone call is just crazy! Thanks!

Screenshot_20230419_063806_annotated.jpg

exe0cdc
Journeyman
Options

Interesting. I have not tested this myself, but will report back if I find the same behaviour.

Otherwise turning off Offline finding and 5G did help a lot with the battery drain. I only got 4% battery drain over ~9 hours overnight.

exe0cdc
Journeyman
Options

It seems this app is not available world wide. I can find links to it on the Samsung store if I google it, but once I click the links I get a message the the app has either been removed from the store or that it is not available in my country.

0 Likes
Ray42
Voyager
Options
Where are you? It's available throughout USA and Europe. https://apps.samsung.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.android.samsung.utilityapp
0 Likes
SM05
Apprentice
Options

I have noticed the same thing. Mine drains about 2-3%/hour.  I'm gonna test it a bit more but if that's how it stays then back to Samsung it goes.

0 Likes
VincentKen
Explorer
Options

After yet another night of 15-20% battery decrease and no app reported as the battery drainer, I went over apps via "Apps" and noticed couple of Samsung apps with the same metrics:

Screenshot_20230423_065425_Settings.jpg

Surely, Device Care app should not consume 10% over 8 hours when phone is not used.

Amer99
Apprentice
Options

I am having the same issue. 15% or more drain when phone is idle at night when I'm sleeping (with everything off) and then normal battery throughout the day 

if i try the diagnostics tool the battery is normal, 

But what I've noticed that it happens every two full charges. Let's say i fully charge my phone today and have the problem, if i charge it again the next day this doesn't happen. Usually restarting or turning off the phone for a couple of minutes solves the problem.

No unusual app found draining battery 

exe0cdc
Journeyman
Options

I found something that might help figuring out why the battery is draining faster than expected. The first sceenshot below shows battery usage over time, together with CPU Utilization % and CPU average frequency.

Note that for the whole of Sunday, CPU utilization remained close to 100% and CPU frequency was almost constant until I restarted my phone (as indicated by the gap in the data). After this point CPU utilization varied normally and only increased when the phone was actually in use.

It's seems that the abnormally high CPU utilization caused the battery to be consumed much faster than expected. In the second screenshot this is clear as indicated by the steep slope for battery usage compared to the much flatter slope after the restart.

It is also worth noting that this high CPU utilization has been persisting for more than a day and throughout a charge before I noticed it, so it may be the case that a restart is necessary to fix the issue.

@VincentKen I checked and this increase in CPU usage was not triggered by a phone call in my case.

I suspect that it must be some system process that is causing this issue, since no app is indicated as the culprit in the battery monitor or in Gsam.
Gsam battery monitorGsam battery monitorScreenshot_20230423_213222_Device care.jpg

SM05
Apprentice
Options

I suspect that it must be some system process that is causing this issue, since no app is indicated as the culprit in the battery monitor or in Gsam.

That's the same conclusion I came to as well. I suspect that poor 5G connectivity in my areas has something to do with that, but I have no proof. In any case, I see no difference between larger 5000 battery on A54 and my old S22 with 3700 I'm trying to replace (cause I wasn't happy with  the battery life) - they both seem to last about the same time. Not happy. Sending it back to Samsung.

0 Likes