Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

A10 (and other) Photo Orientation

(Topic created on: 23-01-2020 02:16 PM)
1Cal
Student
Options

Why do photos show "right way up" in the Gallery... but as soon as they're transported anywhere else Portraits fall over (90° left) and Landscapes turn upside down (180°)?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Solution
AntS
Options

Hi @1Cal ,

Unsure if it's the exact same thing as what's going on in your case, but pretty much the  same thing happens when I export photos taken on my S10 (on One UI 2/Android 10) to a Windows 7 PC via Gmail. The Gmail preview on the PC shows the correct orientation, but as soon as I download them to the PC the photos appear exactly you say. (I can manually rotate them back to as they should be though.)

I came across this article, from which I'd reckon it's a case of the EXIF orientation data on the photos not being read correctly (or at all) by the other Operating System/app in those instances.

1Cal
Student
Options

Hi @AntS,

Many thanks for your excellent reply, and link, which explain the problem for me. 

I currently use Windows 7.  (From the information you provided) that (Windows 7), and all previous versions will flip the photos (which explains a lot).  The information on your link (and a link within that link) explains this in comprehensive detail.

Now that Windows 7 is no longer supported perhaps I should consider upgrading to Windows 10... :face-with-rolling-eyes:

AntS
Options

No worries @1Cal ! :smiling-face:

LOL! Guess in this case it kinda depends on which is more of a pain in the rear: manually rotating pictures or upgrading to Windows 10. :winking-face:

But I can confirm the exact same pictures I took on my S10 are in the correct orientation when I downloaded them on a Windows 10 PC. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @1Cal  Obviously Windows 10 should sort out the orientation issue, good article @AntS .

However I think there are stronger arguments for upgrading anyway as unlikely there will be any  more updates or patches  for the older system.  so security risks.  They have though unexpectedly  released a fix for the Wallpaper bug.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-to-get-post-end-of-life-update-to-fix-wall... 

For guide on upgrading see here :https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360009159719-How-to-upgrade-from-Windows-7-to-Window... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.