Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G7 Connectivity Issues

(Topic created on: 05-12-2021 08:49 PM)
AsylumStormy
First Poster
Options

When I turn on my computer and plug in the display port, it says no signal and shuts off after 3 seconds. I have contacted several Samsung support pros and followed their guidelines but got no results. Along with that, I noticed that no one else has a similar problem similar to mine. I believe I found the issue, but it's not fixable. I have an RTX 3090 with G-Sync on, which seems to cause problems for other people. Even when I factory reset the monitor to try and turn it off, it's ineffective. The other solution would be to switch the display ports or connect an HDMI port to the motherboard, but I have tried all of the possible options, and it doesn't work.

Edit 1: This happens to both of my monitors: individually or together.

Edit 2: Another solution is to replace your GPU, which might be faulty. That was my case.

60 REPLIES 60
JoergBaermann
Apprentice
Options

1.  Update your graphic cards BIOS, manufacturer should have a DP fix else Nvidia did release a firmware update recently that also adresses it.

2. Make sure that your cable supports it. Not sure how the supplied cables are, didn't try the one that came with my G7, just used the supra cable I used with another monitor since the supplied cable for that one was absolute *****.

3. Update the firmware on your monitors if not already done so.

kenryubr
Explorer
Options

Hello,

I'm using my Dell G3 with NVIDIA
GeForce GTX 1660 and G7 Odyssey 27'' as a second monitor.
My Firmware was updated to v1011 and NVIDIA drivers were updated too.

I had the same issue. Everytime that the monitor goes off (standby or turned off) and try to turn it on, it turns the lights on, HDMI is recognized but the lights goes off, monitor goes black and even the OSD stops to work.

I realized that It seems to be a misunderstanding between the monitor and the input (windows/nvidia) when turns it on.
The G7 monitor only recognized the input and turned on after I set the refresh rate to 60Hz on Windows advanced video settings or NVIDIA Control Panel.
Different from that, it only turns on if I unplug and plug HDMI again.

You can set to 144Hz after that, but when it's turned off, I always have put it back to 60Hz on Windows/NIVIDIA or unplug/plug HDMI to turn it on.

I don't know if it's either a Samsung's firmware problem or NVIDIA's driver problem.

Figoep
First Poster
Options

Hello,

Have same issue here. Every time after the computer reboot, it cannot recognize the display. I have to switch between the DP ports on display and on my computer for several times for it to recognize, like playing lottery.

I have updated the bios to v1011 and the latest nVidia driver. The card is 980 Ti.

FlyingBoat
Apprentice
Options

I have a similar problem with the 32" G7.

Only had for a few days. Twice now the monitor is blank and can't get it to bring up anything. Rebooting computer doesn't help, rebooting the display doesn't help. Can't even get the on screen display to come up. The only thing that fixed it both times was to disconnect the power to the monitor and then reconnect.

Second problem I have is I can only connect via HDMI. Displayport doesn't work. Displayport works to my Dell monitor.

I think this G7 is going back as a return.

I have no problems with the Dell 32" I bought and am comparing to.

I like the colors on the G7 better, but I don't want to need to deal with trying to get this to work. Already scratched up my desk needing to fiddle around with this one, trying switching ports etc. What a joke.

FlyingBoat
Apprentice
Options

I should add I am running a 2080 Super and NVIDIA drivers were updated as a new install just a couple of days before getting this monitor.

0 Likes
FlyingBoat
Apprentice
Options

OK, have DP working now. I have the G7 connected via HDMI and DP. I could view on HDMI but not on DP.

So with display set to HDMI, I looked at Nvidia settings. It showed the DP connection at 240hz. I changed that to 144 and then DP is working.

So, I take it, it must be this DP cable provided by Samsung with the G7 which is the problem? It can't do 240Hz?

Strange thing now, the DisplayPort settings are all greyed out. Can no longer change back to 240Hz or change resolution from Nvidia control panel.

I can go into Windows Display settings and change it to 240, but it still shows as 144 on Nvidia. I take in Nvidia is overriding? But I can't even change it on Nvidia. Very confusing and am a bit new to this.

kenryubr
Explorer
Options

@FlyingBoat the best way to see what are the real settings is going to OSD from your monitor: Menu -> Support -> Information

0 Likes
JoergBaermann
Apprentice
Options

If your DP cable can't do 240Hz it is most likely the cable, although the one in the box should work, but maybe someone at the factory misplaced it with one for an older standard.
Once it  works you can control it from NVCPL.

One thing you can try to make sure is using DDU to get ridd of everything from the Nvidia driver and then re-install it.
There is also a driver package for the monitor itself that works even on Windows 11, once you run "C:\Program Files (x86)\MonitorDriver\MonSetup.exe" you can install either the DP or HDMI driver for the monitor.

Note, you have to use DP for 240Hz, not HDMI and also try with the G7 as the only monitor connected.

0 Likes
coldplay5467
Apprentice
Options

I'm experiencing this exact same problem 10 days into owning the monitor.