Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Magician install failure due to Vulnerability identified

(Topic created on: 31/12/20 11:41)
MrMajorThorburn
Options
Computers & IT

Running Windows 10  20H2 and unable to install Samsung Magician.

I have a PM981 NVME 1024GB SSD installed and I am getting Smart errors reported by Intel IAStr.

I downloaded Samsung Magician 6.2.1 but installation failed with message:

Setup

A vulnerability was detected. This program will be closed.

Anyone any suggestions?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MattSchofield
Explorer
Options
Computers & IT

PM981 based SSD's aren't referenced as supported for Samsung Magician, so that might be the latter half of the problem.  I have a 512gb PM981 (MZVLB512HBJQ-000) that had the Microsoft Standard NVMe Controller Driver installed as default, and I recall Samsung Magician wouldn't run with it.  I updated the driver to the Samsung NVMe Driver version 3.3, which isn't actually listed as supporting PM981 based SSD's specifically, but I saw it was reported elsewhere as working great, so I did it.  And I can report it's worked great for me also, and gave a small performance boost.  Samsung Magician worked on this SSD with that driver installed, but it was a bit flakey.  It wouldn't detect temps and a couple of other things.  I forget what exactly, but it rendered the program useless.  So I just uninstalled it.

As for what could be causing the smart errors, I can't help with that.  Sorry.

View solution in context

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
Solution
MattSchofield
Explorer
Options
Computers & IT

PM981 based SSD's aren't referenced as supported for Samsung Magician, so that might be the latter half of the problem.  I have a 512gb PM981 (MZVLB512HBJQ-000) that had the Microsoft Standard NVMe Controller Driver installed as default, and I recall Samsung Magician wouldn't run with it.  I updated the driver to the Samsung NVMe Driver version 3.3, which isn't actually listed as supporting PM981 based SSD's specifically, but I saw it was reported elsewhere as working great, so I did it.  And I can report it's worked great for me also, and gave a small performance boost.  Samsung Magician worked on this SSD with that driver installed, but it was a bit flakey.  It wouldn't detect temps and a couple of other things.  I forget what exactly, but it rendered the program useless.  So I just uninstalled it.

As for what could be causing the smart errors, I can't help with that.  Sorry.

View solution in context

0 Likes