Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Magician install failure due to Vulnerability identified

(Topic created on: 31-12-2020 10:41 AM)
MrMajorThorburn
First Poster
Options

Running Windows 10  20H2 and unable to install Samsung Magician.

I have a PM981 NVME 1024GB SSD installed and I am getting Smart errors reported by Intel IAStr.

I downloaded Samsung Magician 6.2.1 but installation failed with message:

Setup

A vulnerability was detected. This program will be closed.

Anyone any suggestions?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MattSchofield
Explorer
Options

PM981 based SSD's aren't referenced as supported for Samsung Magician, so that might be the latter half of the problem.  I have a 512gb PM981 (MZVLB512HBJQ-000) that had the Microsoft Standard NVMe Controller Driver installed as default, and I recall Samsung Magician wouldn't run with it.  I updated the driver to the Samsung NVMe Driver version 3.3, which isn't actually listed as supporting PM981 based SSD's specifically, but I saw it was reported elsewhere as working great, so I did it.  And I can report it's worked great for me also, and gave a small performance boost.  Samsung Magician worked on this SSD with that driver installed, but it was a bit flakey.  It wouldn't detect temps and a couple of other things.  I forget what exactly, but it rendered the program useless.  So I just uninstalled it.

As for what could be causing the smart errors, I can't help with that.  Sorry.

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Solution
MattSchofield
Explorer
Options

PM981 based SSD's aren't referenced as supported for Samsung Magician, so that might be the latter half of the problem.  I have a 512gb PM981 (MZVLB512HBJQ-000) that had the Microsoft Standard NVMe Controller Driver installed as default, and I recall Samsung Magician wouldn't run with it.  I updated the driver to the Samsung NVMe Driver version 3.3, which isn't actually listed as supporting PM981 based SSD's specifically, but I saw it was reported elsewhere as working great, so I did it.  And I can report it's worked great for me also, and gave a small performance boost.  Samsung Magician worked on this SSD with that driver installed, but it was a bit flakey.  It wouldn't detect temps and a couple of other things.  I forget what exactly, but it rendered the program useless.  So I just uninstalled it.

As for what could be causing the smart errors, I can't help with that.  Sorry.

0 Likes
DiamentowaSzklanka
First Poster
Options

So what can I do if I get this message but with a samsung 850 EVO 250 GB? (Windows 10, 64-bit, latest version as of now)

0 Likes
silvanet
First Poster
Options

Please, I'm having the same problem with my EVO 860. I can't install Samsung magician, get the same message dialog and installation closes the program.

0 Likes
woyvch
Student
Options

Make a folder on the desktop with nothing inside of it and extract the zip file into there rather than just desktop or moving the extracted contents.
Run the installer with administrator privileges.

0 Likes
_Ilya__
Student
Options

I can confirm that this solution works, thank you.

0 Likes