Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB Slow Performance as external Hard drive for Mac Mini M1

(Topic created on: 11-11-2022 10:20 AM)
Goldenboy1
First Poster
Options

I've just purchased a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2  hard drive to fit into an external drive  to use with my mac Mini M1. I  also bought an external M.2 Dual protocol HD closure for the drive from Amazon which connects through a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connection.

The enclosure says that the speeds can theoretically operate at 10GB/s. When I connected it up to the Mac Mini M1 however and formatted it as APFS, I ran a Blackmagic speed test and the read/write speeds are coming up  around 950 mb/s read/write.  I realise that a lot of people are using this drive for PC, however I bought the card after seeing reviews about others using it on Amazon and elsewhere where people are using it for MAC, so can anyone tell me please what I have to do to get this working faster?

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
The speed of a drive is determined by a number of factors. The most significant is how it is connected. E.g the speed will be slowed down by the enclosure and the USB connection etc. To get the max speed it would need to be connected directly to an M.2 slot on the PC with Nvme capability. For external connections I think thunderbolt is fastest which uses USB C to connect. Also make sure when you buy enclosures they are genuine e.g there are a lot of fakes online which may say USB 3.1 but the may be USB 2 etc which are much slower and could be unstable or cause damage. I hope this helps
0 Likes