Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External USB drive SE-506CB doesn't read Blu-Ray disks but reads DVD-disks

(Topic created on: 13-04-2019 03:25 PM)
Nappi
First Poster
Options

Until yesterday the drive did read blu-ray disks, but had much troubles recognizing them. Today I have tried half a dozen BD-disks it used to recognize, but now cannot find any content from there. Does not show disk names in the Windows explorer. When used the "open" command while there is a disk inside, a pop-up asks to insert a new disk. DVD-disks work fine.

The drive uses generic Windows driver CDROM.SYS, date 21.06.2006, version 6.1.7601.17514.

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

There was recent new Microsoft updates, security updates yesterday KB4474419, KB4483458, and today KB4493472 and .NET framework update today KB4483455. They may be quilty too.

On the other hand, the drive has been very poor recognizing Blu-ray disks as long as I remember. I often need to reset the drive (disconnecting the USB-cable) or inserting the disks many times, before the drive recognizes the disk. But now nothing helps.

I cleaned the laser lense about a month ago with moist soft paper, it didn't harm the drive at least back then, on the contrary, I think it worked better. Today after nothing worked, I cleaned the lense agaian, but it didn't help.

I contacted Samsung support chat earlier when the drive had difficulties and I was looking for a possible firmware update, they told me the device is not supported in Nordic countries, and suggested I contact Samsung service. The service replied to my e-mail saying there is no service for external drives.

EDIT: Of course, I have rebooted the drive many times now, also rebooted the computer 3 times.

0 Likes
0 REPLIES 0