Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

HW-Q950T doesn't display Dolby ATMOS

(Topic created on: 08-11-2020 10:01 PM)
Joey73T
Apprentice
Options

Purchased a brand new Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar that advertised Dolby ATMOS support.

I have a 3 year old Samsung Premium 4K UHD TV UE74MU8005, that I have connected the soundbar via HDMI ARC.

I've set the sound setting to:

HDMI input Audio Format to Bitstream

Digital Output Audio Format to Dolby Digital+

I'm streaming via Smart-TV, Disney+, titles that has Dolby- VISION and ATMOS, but the soundbar doesn't display Dolby ATMOS on it's display???

Reading the manual, it seems to me it only supports Dolby ATMOS via the other 2 HDMI inputs.

Anyone with same experience or Samsung support?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Flyingzard
Student
Options

Doubt your 3 year old TV supports EARC which is what is required for atmos. Check your TV specs. EARC is new though. That is why it only works with other devices plugged into one of the other HDMI ports.

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Flyingzard
Student
Options

Doubt your 3 year old TV supports EARC which is what is required for atmos. Check your TV specs. EARC is new though. That is why it only works with other devices plugged into one of the other HDMI ports.

Joey73T
Apprentice
Options

@Flyingzard wrote:

Thanks @Flyingzard for your help 😀
The instruction manual for my Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar said that it should show on the display of the soundbar "Dolby ATMOS" when such source is played. 
And since I use streaming services from Samsung TV Apps like Disney+, I would need to upgrade to a new TV now 🙄

Flyingzard
Student
Options

I am in the same boat. I have a 3 year old oled LG which does not have EARC either. It will do atmos apparently but not the true lossless atmos which you get with EARC. I really want this soundbar as it looks awesome. To get the full benefit of what the bar provides I will buy an nvidia shield Pro which supports all audio and video formats and use that for streaming movies, Netflix etc. Maybe you could do that to avoid the need to replace your TV. 

Joey73T
Apprentice
Options

I have been a long-term user of KODI but running it on a PC connected via DisplayPort to HDMI (TV).
However, I find that I'm using more the streaming apps via TV.
Also, the soundbar comes with something called Q-Symphony, that only supports by newer (2020) TVs, QLED I'm guessing.

Would be kind of nice to have that too??

But I'm wondering, is there a way to verify when the soundbar is playing 9.1.4 or 5.1 pr any other setup?
And is it through that if you have Dolby ATMOS that it should say display "Dolby ATMOS" on the soundbar?

0 Likes
Trunq22
Journeyman
Options

I have a Samsung Q80t and eArc is enabled. Sometimes it works and shows my shows in Atmos and sometimes come back and suddenly it doesn’t. I’ll exit and and go back into the app (Disney+) and it comes back (SOMETIMES).  It’s super annoying. 

0 Likes