Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Delay from Xbox Series X

(Topic created on: 10-11-2020 05:45 PM)
dannyp21
Explorer
Options
I have just bought a new Xbox Series X console and have it wired into my new Samsung Q90T 2020 TV through the game port and then wired via HDMI  EARC port into my Q800T soundbar. 

On setting the console to Dolby Atmos there is a significant audio delay from the soundbar which cannot be rectified through the sync settings on the soundbar or the TV. 

I have Netflix on the TV and my satellite box set up also through EARC and there is no issue but the is significant issue with the Xbox sound sync which is quite frankly infuriating. 

Is anyone else having this issue, and has anyone found a fix? I have spent a lot of money on a new home cinema set up and cannot watch blu rays because of this. 
191 REPLIES 191
Jonesin31
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue. It is so frustrating, but it isn't just the xbox for me. Even the TV programs like youtube running through eARC to my receiver has a delay.

0 Likes
Phix
Journeyman
Options

Having same sound delay issue with TV Q80R and soundbar Q80R. Xbox connected to HDMI 4 One Connect in 4K120 mode, bar connected HDMI Out eArc — TV HDMI 3 Arc. 

TV — Sound — Experts settings: Dolby Digital

Xbox — Settings — Audio: Bitstream — Dolby Digital

Atmos Compatibility on tv didnt work, but it turned on in settings. Xbox said that Atmos didnt support by receiver.

Stereo PCM have less delay.

Samsung, please update TV Q80R to eArc support!! If you could make 4K120hz on HDMI-4, you can make it on HDMI-3.

0 Likes
Tiayeahdude
Journeyman
Options

Samsung help us please, the new firmware does not correct the problem
0 Likes
Mcurry01
Student
Options

Can't believe that there hasn't been movement on this. I realize that a lot of we're running optical audio out to soundbar, and Microsoft took away that option with the Series X. 

But enabling Dolby Digital out of a Q80R creates delay *even while navigating the TV menus!* How is this acceptable? I'm sorry that we actually have to use the features of your TV, Samsung, but the features should work!

Daveman1
First Poster
Options

The lag is caused by the TV, not the Xbox and my understanding is this issue occurs with every model of Samsung TV. Essentially, any time you are asking the TV to do any kind of audio decoding, it is going to have processing lag- this goes away when you just use plain stereo as someone else mentioned in the thread. I doubt Samsung is aware of the issue nor do I think they can fix it with a software update. The new Xbox not having an optical out has been a bit of a pain for many I assume. I had to buy a whole new receiver because of it.

There is a solution but it is not going to be the one you want to hear- You must have your connection setup as follows:

Game Console plugged into audio receiver HDMI In, then audio receiver HDMI Out goes to TV. This is the only way to get true 5.1 or 7.1 or other special sound out of your console without any audio lag. No using ARC. If your sound device doesn't have both HDMI in and HDMI out you will need to replace it.

0 Likes
Danom
First Poster
Options

There's another solution. Get the receiver to do the decoding. 

On xbox one x go to Settings > Devices & connections > Blu-ray 

Enable "Let my receiver decode audio"

0 Likes
Chojiin
Apprentice
Options

I think you misunderstand the problem slightly.

With the TV inbetween the the Xbox and the decoder, the TV adds delay.

We're also talking about the Xbox SERIES X not the One X (which can directly output audio via optical).

0 Likes
cod
Journeyman
Options

"I hear if you get what's called a SHARC adaptor from a US company called ThenAudio it solves the issue."

No, it doesn't. I have one, and it made no difference. And it costs £142.25 including postage from the makers in the US.

0 Likes
PanLondonSI
Apprentice
Options

I hope you manage to get a refund? How can we highlight this issue with Samsung to get this sorted once and for all???? It appears they don’t read their forums or give a hoot once they have your money. 

0 Likes
PanLondonSI
Apprentice
Options

Rather than spend an absolute fortune, wouldn’t a HDMI-Optical splitter that supports 4K work?

0 Likes