Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL Soundbars > control Spotify with Alexa

(Topic created on: 17-08-2020 12:17 PM)
ClmsVie
Student
Options

Hello,
I own a Q800T soundbar which supports Spotify Connect (which works fine) and Alexa (which also works).

Now I want to control Spotify via Alexa by saying "Alexa, play Wonderwall on Spotify".
Alexa replies with "Spotify is not supported on this device". Which is strange because why shouldn't it work if Spotify Connect works fine?

After talking to Spotify Support and trying different solutions, I still encounter the same problem.
The Amazon/Alexa support wasn't helpful in these regards either.

My question now: Is it supposed to work? Does it work for one of you?

Thanks!

EDIT:  As more and more people appeared with the same issue, it seems that this problem occurs with ALL Samsung soundbars. Right now it is absolutely not advisable to buy a soundbar from Samsung. 🚫 There appears to be no willingness to fix that issue for thousands of customers or an official answer.
I highly recommend buying another product at that point - Sonos for example figured out how to write software for their products, that actually works like promised. 😡

If you have already bought one you can check if you are eligible by law to return it (warranty; false advertisement / non-working product). At least in the European Union, you should be covered by the law.

53 REPLIES 53
chpo
Journeyman
Options

Je ne comprends pas .... ?

0 Likes
dziobolek
Student
Options

Hi, I'm lucky owner of HW-Q800A soundbar with Amazon Alexa Voice Assistant but disappointed by such simple software glitch saying "Sorry, Spotify is not supported on this device" when I'm asking Alexa to play my favourite music on Spotify, and  the sad thing is the issue is ignored in some way by three rich companies for long, long time.

- Samsung - their tech support only saying... "It should work"

-  Amazon - their tech support suggesting it must be Spotify's fault

- Spotify - their tech support does not exist or ignoring customers requests to fix the problem 

With this issue it is not Smart speaker at all to me.
Oh, nearly forgot to mention the Tap To Play function it is not working for Spotify as well.

Shame on you.

Problem exist on everyone Samsung soundbar with Amazon Alexa I believe.

tetsugo
Journeyman
Options

No support for Spotify in EVERY soundbar from Samsung... Unsolved sound bugs (with topics like this) in every Samsung Galaxy Smartphone... Every product I buy from Samsung has an unsolved issue they don't take responsibility and blame another company.

Samsung devices may have a good hardware, but their software and post-buying support is a shame. I'm never buying a Samsung device again.

0 Likes
dziobolek
Student
Options

@tetsugo, not sure if it is the right thing to blame Samsung if there is problem with Spotify app only.
Anything else works fine, so...???

0 Likes
lordlacky
Explorer
Options

Blaming Samsung is right because their product doesn't work as expected. This is a big company that should solve the problem with the other company. At the very least, you can expect a statement about it, especially since it used to work and now doesn't even work on old models.

Disco katt
Apprentice
Options

@ClmsVie can you update the original post to include all Samsung soundbars, not just this one?

I´ve found the Spotify thread. Is there an "official" report for Amazon as well?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Samsung-Soundbars-fully-support-Alexa-with-Spotify/idi...

0 Likes
ClmsVie
Student
Options

@Disco katt , I edited the post. And I also included a warning.

axelat
Apprentice
Options

Had the same problem today with my Q800a, support says it should go.

0 Likes
fontenelev
First Poster
Options

Same issue, more than 2 years after your first complaint here. Great soundbar, regarding the sound itself, but this issue is so annoying, at the same time it seems so simple.

0 Likes
axelat
Apprentice
Options

Had the same Problem with a Q600a, sold it and bought a Bose Smartsoundbar 700. "Alexa Play Metallica on Spotify" etc. works without any problems, even here in Austria where (regarding to Boses website) Spotify is not even supported officially!

0 Likes