Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 07-12-2019 07:55 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@m-oc wrote:

Sorry to hear this. You have the same experience as me.  If you can return them I would suggest you do. 

Have you found a suitable replacement? Everyday I'm moving closer to returning the tv and soundbar, and starting over.

My bright room and the prospect of OLED burn-in pushed me away from the LG C8 or C9, but I may have to rethink that. An alternative LED TV would be the Sony 950. The pro reviews I saw rated the Sony somewhat lower than the Q90R, which is why I chose the Samsung in the first place.

If I consider either the LG or the Sony, then the search for a soundbar (with 3 HDMI inputs) that will play nicely with them becomes the challenge. I've read too many forum posts about assorted tv-soundbar issues from other manufacturers, to make me think any combo you choose is a "*****-shoot."

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I've been watching my new LG OLED65W9PLA all evening. No issues whatsoever. It is more expensive than the Q90R but with recent offers it's not much more than the combined price of the Q90R duo. After wasting a lot of time on the Q90R it's a relief. 

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@m-oc wrote:

I've been watching my new LG OLED65W9PLA all evening. No issues whatsoever. It is more expensive than the Q90R but with recent offers it's not much more than the combined price of the Q90R duo. After wasting a lot of time on the Q90R it's a relief. 

Glad to hear that. You did not mention a soundbar. Are you not using one?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@bcab17 wrote:

@m-oc wrote:

The w LG has a big atmos soundbar built in. I had all those sync problems with Samsung Ks series, and among other reasons it went back. I got the LG c8 and everything just worked. It was still bright enough. 

The EARC is suppose to sort the problem, so make sure any sound bar is EARC HDMI. 

Paul

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@bcab17 wrote:

@m-oc wrote:

The w LG has a big atmos soundbar built in. I had all those sync problems with Samsung Ks series, and among other reasons it went back. I got the LG c8 and everything just worked. It was still bright enough. 

The EARC is suppose to sort the problem, so make sure any sound bar is EARC HDMI. 

Paul

So you've got external sources sending DD audio through HDMI to the tv, and no lip sync problem?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@bcab17 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@bcab17 wrote:

@m-oc wrote:

Paul

So you've got external sources sending DD audio through HDMI to the tv, and no lip sync problem?

Before I had my Denon avr I had sky box straight to the HDMI on the TV. The only way I could fix the lip sync was set the tv to stero not DD. I bought the Denon and sky in to Denon  and when using the Denon all ok, but if I use the tv speakers, and sky set to DD problems. 

EARC us hopefully going to sort it, as long as your devices are compatible. 

Paul

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@bcab17 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@bcab17 wrote:

@m-oc wrote:

Paul

Before I had my Denon avr I had sky box straight to the HDMI on the TV. The only way I could fix the lip sync was set the tv to stero not DD. I bought the Denon and sky in to Denon  and when using the Denon all ok, but if I use the tv speakers, and sky set to DD problems. 

EARC us hopefully going to sort it, as long as your devices are compatible. 

Paul

I assume that the problem you describe was with the Samsung (K-series) and not with your current LG C8 ?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Yes

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

There are many people that feel the lip-sync proplem is caused by the TV, not the soundbar. I'm just trying to figure out if it's only a Samsung problem (in my case, with 2019 QLED line).

Locally, I have opnly seen the LG C8 and C9, and there's no built in soundbar...so a separate soundbar would be needed. Whether it's an LG OLED or perhaps a Sony LED, connected to any number of soundbars, I need to find out if the DD audio from an external source, like a cable box, connected with HDMI to ANY tv, will have the lip-sync issue.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

The TV effectively has the equivalent of a one connect box and sound bar supplied with it. The display is only 4mm thick so all of the electronics are in the supplied "soundbar". 

0 Likes