Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch 4 Classic Swimming.

(Topic created on: 14-09-2021 01:36 PM)
Saxy
Navigator
Options

Has anyone tried swimming in their watch? I swim a couple of times a week and want to use it, but I am scared it will drown! It's a lot of money to risk it!

I usually do breaststroke, so while watch is always in water, it isn't very deep. Seems a bit of a grey area. 
Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Go to solution
19 REPLIES 19
Saxy
Navigator
Options
I have been using for swimming for weeks now with no issue. Only 30 mins maximum however, which is the advice given. I do not notice any huge drain on the battery whilst using.
Thank you for you input, what you say is very interesting and I still wonder/worry whether I am doing irreparable damage by using my watch to swim in? These things are not cheap after all!
0 Likes
Paul Mullen
Apprentice
Options

Wow... I'm sorry that you've had that experience.  I swam with the Galaxy Active 2 for 40 - 60 minutes 3+ times a week for a couple of years with no problems.  I just got my Watch 4 and expect the same performance.    So far, no issues and no special treatment to keep it working well.

0 Likes
Paul Mullen
Apprentice
Options

CROSS POSTING FROM A THREAD ABOUT SCREEN BRIGHTNESS:

I found the screen brightness/contrast is not what it needs to be for swimming. 

I tried turning the brightness all the way up, turning auto-brightness OFF, and turning always-on ON.  I figured that that would give me an always readable display.  But alas while swimming the display is not bright enough to read as I make a turn.

Two observations, one root issue:
I don't think the design takes into account older swimmers whose uncorrected eyesight cannot read small font and low contrast.  

1) Observation:  The workout screens are very flexible, but they do not provide a big single parameter screen.  For me, I would choose lengths or laps.

2) Observation:  The choice of font color is a very pleasing light gray under most conditions.  But that color does not provide enough contrast for older eyes.

I'm not sure that the next observation is true, but it seems to me that even with the settings described above, the display seems to be dimmer after a few seconds of swimming, compounding the problem described above.

It would be helpful to note that the Galaxy Active 2 watch did not have the problems described above.  The always-on and brightness control was built into the app rather than relying on always on.

It would be terrific to solve the "older eyes" problem.  With that resolved, this would be the hands down best smartwatch swimming app.

Yka
Apprentice
Options

Now that I think my over heat issues more. I live in Finland ( no ambient heat / sunshine issues at this time of year ), but I use Watch 4 as it's own no phone near by and cellular always in use ( yes this is not perfect watch for standalone use, but sill over all best that I have found  ). Cellular likely has bad field in the water and is the very likely cause of my over heat issue.

What comes to screen brightness while I swim I use watch only for time and incoming messages ( I like swimming a lot and eventually need to be somewhere else :winking-face:   thus brightness works for me. BTW in normal watch mode always on mode is quite a fake it sets screen dimmer and passive mode where one needs to touch the screen to get latest data ( I presume minutes will auto update :winking-face:

You must like the water mode that adds blurring tint / overlay image to the screen :winking-face: and changes watch functionality again to totally crazy.

Dear Samsung while it's possible to have far more than 1000 of watch modes that changes how things work it's not best idea trying to include them all. Constant continuity of usage would pleasure me far more.

dr khaled ghonim
Journeyman
Options

please AndrewL my galaxy watch 4classic has no restart icon

there is only shutdown ,emergency call and touch sensitivity

my watch (EEXZ) SM-R895N CAN U HELP ME

0 Likes
sygys
Explorer
Options

My 3 year old watch active 2 just died walking through rainy weather. i would advise against using these things in the water. they will be waterproof for some time but after long use of the watch it wont be waterproof anymore. the membranes and rubbers wear off and water will eventually come into the watch. i think the biggest problem is the speaker openings.

0 Likes
dr khaled ghonim
Journeyman
Options

its a disaster that Samsung say that the phone is water proof and in fact it is not

0 Likes
Klvn
Apprentice
Options

I bought the Samsung Watch 4 Classic four months ago and this week since I'm off work, I went to swim with it in a pool every day for 30 min. After the 4th day, the bazzel stopped working. The lights behind the watch face stopped working. It was not able to detect any movement. I took it to repair shop as warrantee and its taking 4 to 6 weeks to get a result. I was told by the technician that if water gets in then it cannot be repaired. 

He said its water resistant in a lab environment. If other liquid such as sweat or dirty water gets in, there is no repair.

Finger crossed but I am not optimistic of getting a working watch back.

0 Likes
suezeyloo
First Poster
Options
Iv been wearing my active watch for aqua arobics and a long swim after for 4 time's a week and had no problem
0 Likes
Klvn
Apprentice
Options

As an update, I got my watch back with the inside of the watch replaced with a new one! So I supposed it broke not because of my swimming 😃

0 Likes