Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you text on the 4g version of the Galaxy watch 3?

(Topic created on: 04-09-2020 03:31 PM)
Traynor1987
Apprentice
Options

Hi everyone. Just bought the Galaxy watch 3 4G on Vodafone. Just a quick question. Can you text in standalone mode when the watch isn't in remote connection mode by has a 4G connection? (For example the phone died while I was away).

Background:

Bluetooth connection works as normal. Texts, phone calls, notifications etc which is perfectly fine as I had the gear s3 until last week.

Now if my phone is turned on. But im a few miles away. It goes into remote connection mode via 4g. Text, phone calls and notifications all work.

Now if my phone dies while I'm away. It goes into standalone mode. I lose the notifications which makes sense as it was coming through the phone. I can make phone calls on the watch with the phone battery dead via the 4g connection on the watch but cannot text people as it looks for the phone (only for texts).

Is that the correct way its meant to work? that it still needs your phone even if its remote connection to send texts? Phone calls work while the phone is dead.

4 REPLIES 4
Kellahi2002
Student
Options
If you buy the Samsung watch on a 4G network with a UK network. You don't need to have your phone with you. Meaning you can make and receive call and send and receive text.
0 Likes
Traynor1987
Apprentice
Options

ok, well my watch only lets you make and receive phone calls. I can text if its remotely connected to the phone via 4G or via Bluetooth (as expected) . But if the watch is in standalone mode with 4G connection. I can only make and receive phone calls. The watch looks for the phone (thats turned off or battery is dead), so it will fail to send the text.

How do I fix this? Much appreciated on the reply :smiling-face:

0 Likes
L0gan5
Explorer
Options

That’s not totally correct. In order to receive/send text messages your mobile phone needs to be on and connected to the internet. Samsung in their wisdom decided not to implement full SMS functionality in the watch and so it therefore relies on the phone to act as a gateway.

0 Likes
Kellahi2002
Student
Options
I got the Samsung watch. Not the new one. With Vodafone. I can make call and receive call and send text and receive text without having my phone. That the reason for a Samsung watch on 4G with a network provider. Meaning you don't carry your phone with you. Only downside about having the watch with Vodafone network is when you making outgoing calls, mine shows a different number
0 Likes