Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why "Host Name: localhost" ?

(Topic created on: 27-02-2018 11:59 AM)
localhost
Journeyman
Options

My Samsung UE49KU6400 is using Host Name: localhost, although in Network / Device Name is set as "Samsung 6 Series".

Why is it using the reserved name "localhost"? Doesn't Samsung know that it is not allowed to do that!

"localhost" is meant to be used only for the loopback interface!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGIMG_20180216_183041.jpgIMG_20180216_193315.jpgIMG_20180216_193332_1.jpg

38 REPLIES 38
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Ho3 wrote:

Seem no update. Samsung is dead?

It looks like it. The support staff really do seem to be gatekeepers who have been told never to escalate anything to Samsung Engineering, whatever the cost.

arpitjindal97
Journeyman
Options

This is the strategy. Make products, don't support it later. Not even the critical bugs. Customers will be urged to buy new products.

Ho3
Journeyman
Options
Same feeling here. Think the call center team just do not integrate with support team well. Will not pick another Samsung TV until this issue been resolved.
samsbk
Apprentice
Options

I am suffering the same issue with a Samsung KU6450 (UE40KU6450UXXC)

I am located in Portugal, contacted the support services which were unable to understand or redirect me to the correct person to fix this.

Here is a capture on my LAN showing the TV announcing localhost to the entire network (And me trying to offer it a hostname named "samsungtv" which is obviously ignored by the TV):

https://www.cloudshark.org/captures/d111922b008f

I tried to force my DHCP to give a hostname but it seems the TV is not following conventions.

I can see three ways it is failing:

- It assigns a self hostname named localhost (which is reserved)

- It publicly announces the bad hostname to the Local Network

- It does not accept DHCP option 12 (RFC 2132)

I'd like to purpose three possible fixes:

Add possibility to change network hostname

- Change current network hostname from localhost to something not reserved (For example "SamsungTV123456”)

- DHCP client must accept Option 12 (Hostname)

This is unnaceptable and I'd like someone from technical support to answer my post!

Regards.
localhost
Journeyman
Options

You will definitely not get a proper technical support from Samsung! That is for sure!!
A quick solution might be throwing your Samsung TV out the window and get a new piece of smart tv...

I simply disconnected my Samsung tv from the local network, giving up all its "smart" features..

samsbk
Apprentice
Options

First let me congratulate you on the usage of your nickname, that was actually pretty smart :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Then it's impressive to see smart devices actually being all but smart. I really have no idea what engineering team was thinking to send certain functions into production.
And last but not least, it's also impressive how can the engineering teams fix problems since it's pretty impossible to even come into contact with them regarding big issues like this one. So I guess they must put the Interns doing QA jobs haha

Edit: I also ended up disconnecting the TV from the network. It's not that it was causing issues for the moment, but I hate to see devices using non-standards just because they thought it was fine.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@samsbk wrote:

First let me congratulate you on the usage of your nickname, that was actually pretty smart :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Then it's impressive to see smart devices actually being all but smart. I really have no idea what engineering team was thinking to send certain functions into production.
And last but not least, it's also impressive how can the engineering teams fix problems since it's pretty impossible to even come into contact with them regarding big issues like this one. So I guess they must put the Interns doing QA jobs haha

Edit: I also ended up disconnecting the TV from the network. It's not that it was causing issues for the moment, but I hate to see devices using non-standards just because they thought it was fine.

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

I really enjoyed your post :smiling-face:

localhost
Journeyman
Options

there is still HOPE!!

Samsung_hope.PNG

Samsung_hope2.PNG

arpitjindal97
Journeyman
Options

We will keep waiting for the OTA update untill the product gets obselete

0 Likes
samsbk
Apprentice
Options

Good news!

We should all request assistance and mention that reference from the assistance to show that it's a real issue that affects many people.