Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TU8500 43" - AV composite problem with PS2 console

(Topic created on: 04-11-2020 02:51 AM)
stevekelly74
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I purchased a 43" TU8500 a few weeks back and so far it's been fantastic with no issues.

I have an old PS2 games console (the original fat model) which uses composite (red, white, yellow) for it's video out, so I purposely bought a TV model that supported a composite/AV input which the TU8500 does. When I connect up the PS2 and play PAL 50hz games they work fine and the TV displays them with no issues. However the console has the ability to play US and Japanese NTSC 60hz games as well, but when I try to play these games there's no colour in the image (black and white) and the image is distorted and shakes. Basically it appears the TV is not switching to or supporting the NTSC 60hz mode when the console outputs it.

Is there a reason for this does anyone know? I'm surprised such a modern TV doesn't have the ability to switch to NTSC 60hz correctly, or is it the fact that this mode is not supported over composite on this TV? It used to work fine on an older CRT TV. Would I have to buy a composite RCA to HDMI convertor to get this to work?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
EdwinJ
Pioneer
Options
It doesn't work because NTSC 60hz is not supported fully on that TV. It doesn't work on many TV of 2020 series, because its becoming outdated. The glitches and black and white is due to lack of software support. If that's what you wanted to know.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
EdwinJ
Pioneer
Options
First reason , get a new console.
0 Likes
stevekelly74
Apprentice
Options

With all due respect, what's the point in replying with something silly like that? I have plenty on "new" consoles thanks, but that has zero to do with it. The PS2 is still widely used as a retro gaming console by thousands of people, including myself so I've posted a genuine query about composite use on a Samsung TV. The model of TV I have has a composite connection which is intended for use with older hardware, so the question is entirely valid.

It may not be possible or the answer may not be known, and if that's the case, so be it, but to be honest if you've nothing constructive to say it's probably better to say nothing....thanks.

0 Likes
Solution
EdwinJ
Pioneer
Options
It doesn't work because NTSC 60hz is not supported fully on that TV. It doesn't work on many TV of 2020 series, because its becoming outdated. The glitches and black and white is due to lack of software support. If that's what you wanted to know.
0 Likes
stevekelly74
Apprentice
Options

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks for the answer. If that's the case I'll close off this post.

Steve

0 Likes