Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The receiver does not turn on when I turn on the TV

(Topic created on: 01-08-2020 02:39 AM)
DanielDias
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I just bought a Q900 8k 75” (QN75Q900RBGXZD) to replace an old (2014) Samsung TV and there are a few annoying things that doesn’t work on this model that used to work on the old model.

One of these things is related to the Anynet+.

I have my TV connected to a Yamaha receiver RX-A1060. With the old TV I was able to turn on the receiver when I turned on the TV using the TV remote control (just clicking the TV turn on button it also turned on the receiver) and turning off the TV the receiver also turned off.

With the Q900, when I turn on the TV the receiver doesn’t turn on. I need to use the receiver remote control. I can see that every time I turn on the TV, the TV Speakers is set as default audio output. If I change it to Receiver (HDMI) the receiver turn on.

The turn off is working: when I turn the TV off, the receiver aldo turn off.

My question is: Is there any configuration I couldn’t find the enable the feature to turn the receiver on when I turn the TV on? Or is there any way to set the Receiver (HDMI) as default audio output even when the TV is restarted?

Thanks.

Daniel

132 REPLIES 132
whswede
Apprentice
Options

Just bought a QE55Q77A and same issue. All HDMI control except turning receiver on works fine. Tried everything. Must be possible to fix this with a firmware update 

Ivo234
Journeyman
Options

Just to add my testimony here:

Have a Denon AVR-3300W, worked just fine with TLC and Sony TVs.

Bought a Samsung Q80R and now turning on the TV does not turn on the DVR. Like with everyone else, turning off works, volume controls work, only  turning off does not work.

I have searched the net since the day I set it up two years ago, and there have been people reporting this issue all this time. Samsung have not acknowledged let alone fixed this. Obviously they couldn't care less about their customers' experience.

Over the years I have bought 4 high end Samsung TVs. Since they have shown such disregard for their customers, I will avoid this brand not only for TV purchases, but for every other type of device as well.

0 Likes
Brantf
First Poster
Options

Please fix this Samsung!!!!!

0 Likes
Jtdavid
First Poster
Options

This problem popped up for me after things working as they should for over a year.  Bong Leach's solution on changing the input worked for me.  Something about the input source needing to be TV fixed it.  

Dreamsayer
Journeyman
Options

YES!!! This issue has been bugging me. I can confirm this solution worked for the tv to turn on the receiver. I have a Sony system btw. TV turned off receiver, but never would turn on. Now it does! YAY!!! Thank you Jtdavid and Bong Leach.

1. Press the HOME key on your Samsung remote

2. Navigate to SOURCE and select TV. 

3. Press the HOME button again and navigate to SETTINGS.

4. In the settings menu navigate to SOUND OUTPUT and choose either RECEIVER or OPTICAL {depending on your connection of choice}

5. Press POWER on your Samsung remote.  The TV and RECEIVER should power down. 

6. Wait a few seconds, Press POWER on your Samsung remote and the TV and the RECEIVER should power on.

BONG LEACH
Student
Options

Nice! You're absolutely welcome! 

Randy31
Apprentice
Options

This solution only works when you use the Samsung remote. Previously I was able to use my Dish remote to turn on my LG TV and my Yamaha receiver without issue. The only thing that changed is I have a Samsung TV and the receiver no longer turns on with the Dish power button, it will only turn the TV and the receiver off..

0 Likes
Dreamsayer
Journeyman
Options

This doesn't surprise me. My Xfinity box would never turn on when I used the Samsung remote. It left it in sleep mode. I had to use the Xfinity remote to turn on the tv and "wake" the cable box. 

I actually never had an issue with my receiver not turning on until I decided to ditch my cable box and use the Xfinity stream app for watching tv. My setup was cable box HDMI 1, Playstation 3 HDMI 2 (not used but plugged in), and receiver on HDMI 3. I left the PS and receiver on their existing ports. When I turned on the tv  I would receive a blue error message about the HDMI 3 device. Configure source etc. Because it was not powering on.

Now my tv turns on and launches Samsung TV Plus with the receiver. But I've found a glitch where the sound/receiver connection gets lost again with blue screen. It happens if I "exit" the Samsung TV app. I have to press the home button instead, and launch the Xfinity Stream to keep the sound connected.

0 Likes
bmelloh
First Poster
Options

I am also about ready to give this company the proverbial middle finger and introduce my Yamaha receiver to my 10lb sledge hammer (why is receiver UI tech still in the 90s?)... and NONE of the above things mentioned worked for me either.  But, this thread did help me accept that this time, the TV is the problem.  So, when in doubt, factory reset (I had just finished troubleshoot the receiver and done multiple factory resets, so maybe it didn't "recognize" it anymore? Shouldn't be it, but...). 

Well, it wasn't a full reset (it was an option to "Setup" the TV) but I believe the step where it checks what's physically connected and suggests you turn it on (just the receiver that was off, so I turned it on), then it did its thing and when that was done, turning on the TV now once again turns on the receiver.  

SHOULD I/we have to do this in this day and age? Absolutely not.  But.....

Anyway, hope this helps some of you.

Samsung UN50NU7090 

Yamaha RX v685

0 Likes
Dreamsayer
Journeyman
Options

I can also confirm that using the setup TV option also achieves the same result. I ended up using that option when Samsung TV app broke the connection again. And somehow a message popped up on the screen about my old device on HDMI-1. Even though I unplugged it. The TV remembers devices setup even if unplugged. The TV setup allows you to reset the HDMI devices. 

I'm assuming if you move HDMI devices around to different ports, you would also need to perform this process? As the tv might think something else is on that port.

0 Likes