Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugs in brand-new TV firmware (UE43TU8507UXXU, Tizen)

(Topic created on: 04-08-2020 01:20 PM)
freemansteve
First Poster
Options

Basically my brand new TV (UE43TU8507UXXU) has a software problem, whereby it fails to correctly use the metadata in an MKV or MP4 video file that contains embedded subtitles. The files are accessed over my home network from a NAS unit. The "default" and "forced" flags in the file metadata are set to "off", but the TV still insists on displaying the subtitles! This is true even though the TV has been set to NOT display subtitles.

This is incorrect behaviour (i.e. a bug), not user error - my two LG TVs work fine with the exact same files, as do all my windows & Linux PCs, two iPads and an Android phone (so it's just the Samsung TV not doing the right thing).

I suspect that when the TV reads the metadata in the MP4 or MKV file header the software is ignoring the flags pertaining to the subtitling - see picture below of a file's metadata. I suspect, but have not tried, that separate .SRT files may work fine, but I shouldn't need to split out the subtitle text to get the TV to work properly.

The second bug is that the TV does not display a file or folder name correctly if it contains apostrophes, again, all my other devices work fine with the same files/folders.

I tried Tech Support who said that they couldn't help but that they'd escalate the bugs to the development team (I assume in S Korea), but with previous Samsung experiences I doubt any attention is paid to bug reports coming from customers (or even from Samsung UK Tech Support), but please let me know if this is not true!

So does anyone else get these bugs, and do Samsung ever listen to customers and provide fixes?

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
freemansteve
First Poster
Options

N.B. yes, the apostrophe character (') is the normal 0x27 ascii character.

0 Likes
ashyt16
Navigator
Options

I don't have a NAS, but I can imagine this behaviour is incredibly annoying. 

I get the same issue when streaming movies via DLNA. 

Every single time I play a file subtitles are automatically enabled and EVERY time I have to disable them. 

The setting should be global and once only unless I choose to re-enable them. 

No such issue with our LG's. 

0 Likes
freemansteve
First Poster
Options

If the subs are embedded, I have not found a way to disable them on playback! It is a bug, but I'm pretty sure nobody of influence at Samsung will ever be informed of this. TBH, I wish I'd bought another LG - the software is FAR better.

As it happens, my RAID/NAS box includes a DLNA server, so files are presented to the TV via DLNA... You raise a good point though: I should try the same files played off a USB stick, as this will eliminate the TV's DLNA client.

0 Likes