Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[2022] QN95B : Vibrating Back Cover

(Topic created on: 16-05-2022 02:45 PM)
Chumley-Biscuit
Student
Options

Since taking ownership less than 4 days ago, the back cover of my QE55QN95B has been a constant source of vibration, enough to wreck our entire viewing experience!
It's not a Sound processing fault or an issue with the speakers; this is a physical construction issue with regards to the type of back that Samsung have fitted to the TV. Instead of being a sturdy, solid backpiece it's a thin sheet of plastic which is only secured around the frame edges. The cover sort of flexes when pressed with a finger, like when you press on a jam-jar lid that has been opened, so when the deep Bass builds or kicks-in during a movie/TV, the whole of the back cover oscillates against the chassis like a Bumble Bee in a Steel Bucket!
As it stands, the TV is unwatchable with any level of Bass and I've had to turn them to minimum via the expert/EQ settings because the noise of the rattling was scaring the dogs! When viewing a very Bass oriented Dolby Atmos Test Video on Youtube - the back cover buzzed so much I thought it would fall off!
Maybe if Samsung had secured it with multiple plastic poppers across the whole surface (similar to those that hold vehicle trim in place) it might be prone to vibrate less?
This was touted as a 2022 'Flagship' TV but, the lack of QC in this case is evident enough to warrant its return - so, the TV is being collected this week. Most disappointed ... 😢

47 REPLIES 47
g0akc
Navigator
Options

And did he get the soundbar?

0 Likes
Gerg393
Student
Options

Sorry to hear you had more issues. I don't know yet tbh I'll see. It cost me time but nothing else. If they offer me something I'll consider if I should stop or keep going 

0 Likes
Metr0
Student
Options

As per my earlier post this is a design fault that Samsung should rectify. Samsung do know about the issue but have decided that ignoring the issue is the current best approach.  I would have hoped that Samsung had learnt about resolving design faults after the Samsung Note 7 battery issues and multiple issues with washing machine fires. The resolution of reseating speakers shows a clear design fault, if there is a simple resolution then Samsung should be contacting their customers and advising of a fix.  I find it incredible that this is a Samsung forum yet they claim to know nothing of the problem! I would encourage anyone who experiences the issues to complain and seek redress.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Update: Having previously reported about reseating the speakers - this weekend we watched a couple of films (movies) that had deeper, continued bass.  This gave rise to the vibration.  I had tried them with some test content previously, and with our ordinary daily viewing (news, cop dramas, quiz shows) which didn't show it so much.

• Reseating the speakers improved matters (done by Samsung repair agent)
  • Does not however fix it
  • The other 'fixes' - changing the sound profile in service menu by Samsung technician, turning down the bass in the equaliser reduce the vibration, do not sure it, reduce overall sound quality/audio performance.

I'm now considering writing to Samsung (yet again) about it to see what they can do or offer.

I doubt that Samsung will undertake any kind of recall - they have now moved on to newer models for the '2023 line up'.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Further Update:

I went ahead with writing another email to Samsung.  A warranty service visit was arranged.  Samsung clearly not willing to provide a sound bar (other than at normal prices).

To recap, our TV had already been subject to;

1. Setting changed in engineer/service menu (I guess this was PEQ value)  by one of the service technicians when coming to see about other fault - there was less vibration but sound very dull
  2. Later, boards replaced to fix issue with TV not coming out of standby.  Although I mentioned the setting change doe previously the service technicians ignored this and left the boards with factory default setting ("we only come to look at one issue") so they undid the 'fix' from before.
  3. The service technicians 're-seated' the speakers - they thought that would fix vibration - it seemed to reduce it for a while but still issues

So move on a few months....     Vibration was very noticeable with some content like movies with deep bass, and with 'Citadel' on Prime which has a lot of atmosphere music and 5.1 sound.  The further service visit arranged and took place;

• Demonstrated the issue to the service technicians
  • They had been briefed to apply a fix in accordance with a Samsung service bulletin - this is basically to use double sided adhesive tape to fix the back cover
  • Technicians felt that there was also some distortion present.  They proposed to swap ALL the speakers as well as fit the tape - speakers parts ordered and new appointment made to fit them about 2 weeks later.  Technicians entered full service menu and changed PEQ Index from 513 to 499.
  • Speakers all replaced and back panel secured with double sided tape

Now seems better though the sound isn't so 'bright' with new PEQ value.  Technicians said the new value (499) is the correct one.  They said proper service remote needed to access that setting.  Using the consumer remote you can access the service menu but basically only to view some of the details and not everything.  In any case there is a counter showing how many times you entered the menu and if any changes made, which could invalidate warranty.

So a total of 4 service visits now - two to look at the 'unable to wake from standby) issue - check and ordered parts, fit parts - during which the vibration looked at and a further two - check the issue, maybe fit the tape but went away to order speakers then returned to fit them, with the tape as well.

In summary - to fix the vibration issue

• Change PEQ Index in full service menu (service remote required) from 513 to 499
  • Fit new speakers as mine apparently distorted (this might not be needed by you)
  • Fit double sided tape to better secure rear panel
0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

And I had a quick look inside while the techs were here - looked similar to that shown in this thread 

They noted that the speaker units (well the bottom ones anyway) had a sticky foam pads between speaker unit and 'chassis' as well  as the tabs and screws.  They took those pads off.

0 Likes
FeaturingDB
Apprentice
Options

I am so disappointed. I purchased this brand new when it was first released. The quality of the sound was so bad that I had to purchase a sound system. No discount from Samsung. Thanks for charging me a premium on this broken tv. I should have just returned it.   The moral of the story is, just don’t buy Samsung products anymore. They keep releasing clunky products that they don’t stand behind.   This is the second defective Samsung product that I have had. Maybe Apple will take over the tv market soon. 

0 Likes
Gerg393
Student
Options

They don't care at all!

I spent hours and hours on the phone to get my TV sorted and after I sent it back I spent hours and hours on the phone to get something because they not even updated where is my TV. I had enough and asked for refund, bought an LG extremely happy with the screen and the sound is just awesome, no issues whatsoever. Never again Samsung.

0 Likes
Hello8
First Poster
Options

Hello. I got this TV today and immediately noticed the sound problem and lodged a complaint. Googled and found this forum. Dealer is coming tomorrow to see it. Any tips would be welcome? Thanks. Babar

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Babar - dealer should be able to find details of this issue from Samsung - and be able to change PEQ value.  Sound won’t be so good however.  Then they may need to remove back cover and reseat with special adhesive tape.  Samsung knows this issue!

0 Likes