Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM-T290 Screen Mirroring

(Topic created on: 24-07-2020 11:43 AM)
midsomerjambo
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I recently purchased a Galaxy Tab A8 2019 (SM-T290) and was surprised to find that the Smart View app wasn't installed nor could I find any other app that provides screen-mirroring functionality. So I was wondering, does this tablet not support WiFi screen mirroring? It seems very strange that such a basic function should be unsupported on a fairly up-to-date tablet, so if anyone has any advice on a possible solution, I'd be grateful to hear it.  Incidentally, I've tried installing Smart View from the Play Store as well as a number of other 3rd-party mirroring apps but they either don't work or report that the device is unsupported. I haven't tried them all as there are dozens, so if anyone knows of one that would work, again I'd be grateful.

Regards, Gerry

16 REPLIES 16
aup1
First Poster
Options

Well that's disconcerting. Looks like Samsung did a gotcha on me. They got my money and I got a box of bricks. I purchased the SM-T290 tablet simply because I believed that this model in this day and age would have this feature. This really upsets me. Most all of my other products are Samsung and I specifically purchased this to work with the other Samsung products. Very disappointed. Samsung should resolve this issue immediately  give the customer what they want and what they thought they were paying for. This has left a bad taste and very bad impression. I was also planning to purchase a 70" Samsung tomorrow but now I'm concerned feature may not be there or expectations not met. Samsung, listen to your customers. I'm holding off on any further purchases of Samsung products until this matter is resolved. You may not miss my dollar, but word gets around.

Christopher-L
First Poster
Options

Like others I have a Galaxy Tab A (2019) and find I cannot Screen Mirror. I am a novice at these issues and do not quite understand how your last sentence might work. I have both a Samsung TV and my main TV is a Sony TV. The Sony TV specifically says that to Screen Mirror it has to be with a device that has Miracast. If I buy a Chromecast dongle and plug that into either TV, would that allow my Galaxy Tab to Screen Mirror onto either or both of the Samsung or Sony TVs ?

If it does, never having seen screen mirroring in operation, would I just be able to see certain files, photos, videos etc which I open on my tablet or can I also see all the screens that I work though on my tablet ie would I see on the TV exactly what shows on my Tablet screen at any time ?

If a Chromecast will not work to screen mirror, can you explain your last sentence and how that works and what I would have to do ?

0 Likes
SM-T290
First Poster
Options

I recently bought two new Samsung TVs and the Samsung SM-T290 specifically so I can screen mirror from the easy chair and the master bedroom so I won't need laptops and yada yada to check email and text message.  I was amazed how different the two TVs are regarding mirroring and casting, but anyway, the real disappointment is the Tab won't mirror at all.  About the only thing working well with the TVs is Amazon and Google products regarding casting of any kind.  I thought I could find an app that would work with the FireSticks but to no avail because the Tab simply lacks the ability to mirror.  I can watch movies, fine, but I need some way to mirror that doesn't involve buying an upgraded (another) Samsung product

motowngrrl
Student
Options

Hi All,

Not sure this is still a challenge for anyone? The Allcast app finally worked for me, but I had to try 4 apps to finally find one to get er done. Guess I was lucky I didn't have to sift through dozens of apps! And btw,  I had a two fold challenge in that my TV is NOT SMART, not connected to the internet. So, after unsuccessfully trying a USB C to HDMI cable and  a coupla gizmos from here and there, I finally found the ScreenBeam Mini 2 Wireless Display Receiver dongle, thingamajig that does not require internet. Ta Daaa! Tablet now connects to my dumb TV!

If this issue is still relevant, I hope this saves someone from the tedious HOURS this took me to crack the code. Ugh.

motowngrrl_0-1611071903260.jpeg

motowngrrl
Student
Options

Not sure this is still a challenge? The Allcast app finally worked for me, but I had to try 4 apps to finally find one to get er done. Guess I was lucky I didn't have to sift through dozens of apps! And btw,  I had a two fold challenge in that my TV is NOT SMART, not connected to the internet. So, after unsuccessfully trying a USB C to HDMI cable and  a coupla gizmos from here and there, I finally found the ScreenBeam Mini 2 Wireless Display Receiver dongle, thingamajig that does not require internet. Ta Daaa! Tablet now connects to my dumb TV!

If this issue is still relevant, I hope this saves someone from the tedious HOURS this took me to crack the code. Ugh.

0 Likes
hamradiogeek
First Poster
Options

Well here it is May 2021 and I just purchased a SM-T290 and usre enough it has no Smart View. Very disappointed. My oler Tab A 8" and 10.1" both hade ti. Guess will take this back tot he store to get a refund!

Samsung needs to smarten up!!

0 Likes
Grahamcracker
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue! This brand new device is going back. All my Samsung devices have missing features and are not compatible. All to force more purchasing. I have the tablet refrigerator thinking I could use it like a phone with all the features, nope, the tablet inside the refrigerated is useless dumb down version. Bluetooth doesn't start connected, smart always hangs up, voice control doesn't work. It's just one big note pad the kids draw on because that's the only thing that stays working. All my Samsung tv's have issues. I'm done with Samsung products.

0 Likes