Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Updates

(Topic created on: 01-01-2022 11:46 PM)
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
Why do Samsung not provide monthly security updates for their tablets, especially the models with mobile data connections.

Ie my mobile currently receives monthly updates but my Tab S6 5G only receives quarterly updates and my Tab A 10.1 (2019) 4G now only receives updates bi annually.

Why can't they just provide regular updates and os updates to all devices under 5-6 years. If Apple can do this, then would expect Samsung should be able to do it. Just because they make numerous different models each year shouldn't mean customers get less of a service.
3 REPLIES 3
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Apple can do it far easier because they aren't using 4 different brands of processors in iPads and iPhones like Samsung do in their devices. Also, Android tablets have always been overlooked for updates by all manufacturers. Samsung have actually improved the level of support for their tablets recently. My old Acer Iconia tablet got one update in it's entire life span and that's only because I risked crossflashing it with a newer tablet's ROM (they shared identical internals). That newer tablet got an update for a vulnerability that mine wouldn't have received which is why I did it
0 Likes
walkerx
Helping Hand
Options
And that's Samsung’s fault for using multiple brands, but even so they update them for a while monthly then drop to quarterly then biannually.
But if they can update mobiles monthly then they should do same for tablets.
0 Likes
Rich200669
First Poster
Options
Samsung are lazy when it comes to software issues etc. Yes , granted they've improved, but they are still a long way off from being good. As antikythera mentions Samsung have a lot of models each needing something slightly different. However if Samsung want to put out so many models they should also put the time aside to create updates for all. They shouldn't be choosey! That's not good for us. I mean their upper range tablets aren't much cheaper than their flagship phones. I'm not happy that my tab s7 is still on October security updates. Samsung are historically great at innovation etc. But they lack in keeping those devices updated. This isn't me hating on Samsung they're my favourite but it's a well known fact.
0 Likes