Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix - blocky video in dark areas on Tab S8+. Dynamic range issue?

(Topic created on: 07-06-2023 01:31 PM)
Members_kiRg9iT
Apprentice
Options

With almost all content, the video quality looks good, however, in dark scenes, the image is very blocky with poor colour rendering and clear banding. It's almost as if it has a dynamic range issue in dark scenes. Lighter scenes in the same video look fine.

Further info:

• Other apps on the tablet with similarly dark videos are OK.
  • The same video on my S22 Ultra is also OK.
  • My network is giving me around 90 Mbps.
  • All the settings I can find in the app and on the tablet are set to high quality.
  • I've been through a chat with Netflix support, but that came up with nothing.

It kind of feels like there's some strange compatibility issue between the Tab S8 and the Netflix app.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/blocky-color-banding-in-dark-scenes-seems-to-only-be-on-netflix...
I have noticed this myself on my tab s7+. I've also noticed it on dark scenes with my LG oled TV. I do believe it's due to compression on the stream. It may not be as noticeable on your phone as it is a smaller screen.
Members_kiRg9iT
Apprentice
Options

Thank you Fiona! Interesting. I'll have a closer look on the TV with the lights turned down.

Makes me wonder why I'm paying for Premium!

If it is a bandwidth issue, it can't be with my local connection. Maybe their nearest cache server is a long way from me.