Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S5e Scrolling Issue

(Topic created on: 08-05-2019 03:08 PM)
ETHAN0
Pathfinder
Options

Hi! I am new to Samsung tablets and have noticed that when scrolling vertically in portrait orentation, the right side of the display moves slightly faster than the left side which gives this jelly/wave effect which is really  annoying. This issue only occurs in portrait orentation and will not occur is landscape. I have had this issue on my very cheap Amazon Fire HD but did not expect it on a £400 tablet. 

I have read a couple of short threads online about a few others experiencing this issue with the Galaxy Tab S4 but I haven't read much about it happening on the Galaxy Tab S5e. 

Does anyone have this issue on their S5e or other Galaxy tablets and does anyone know why it occurs and if there is a solution? 

Thanks 

31 REPLIES 31
mole51
Explorer
Options
I agree; I find it bizarre that not a single review I’ve watched of either the Tab S5e or S6 mention the jelly scrolling, but I presume they’re reviewing the tablet mainly in landscape and just haven’t noticed it when using it in portrait.

I urge you to have a closer look again at other devices. My iPhone 8 Plus with an LCD display 100% has the jelly scrolling when used in landscape. It’s obviously not as noticeable on a much smaller screen but it is definitely there, so to on my girlfriends iPhone 11 Pro Max. I have yet to test it on an iPad however.

I find it easiest to see the jelly effect on the BBC news website after clicking on an article and scrolling through an article.
0 Likes
TabletUser5
First Poster
Options

Here's the strange part, I have the Samsung Tab A 10.5 (2018) and absolutely no jelly roll issues both in portrait or landscape. 

0 Likes
mole51
Explorer
Options

Follow the link below and go to the main highlighted comment under the links, it explains why jelly effects occur on displays.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/7v9dc2/online_tester_for_jelly_scrolling_effect_for/

0 Likes
DollarBill
Journeyman
Options

FYI I have an S5e which wobbles in portrait mode only and a Tab A 10.1 (2019) and S9 Plus, both of which wobble in landscape mode only. It seems a choice has to be made to either build the device one way or the other And the S5e is primarily a landscape device (keyboard and DEX). 

0 Likes
Gablar64
First Poster
Options

OK.

It only happens on media rich or very long webpages.

Secondly if you scroll slowly it is not always noticeable. 

It is the equivalent of very sync issues on PC games.

Refresh rate is simply too low.

0 Likes
Raitis
Apprentice
Options

Hi!

As I understand, from this post, then if Tab S5e (also Tab S6) has this issue no update will help to solve it and there's no point in sending tablet in for repair, right?
Then only options are asking for a refund from a reseller or use a tablet with this jelly screen?!?

\m/

0 Likes
TabletUser5
First Poster
Options

That is correct.  However, usithe the Samsung browser as the default for all links and  not apps is better, since it doesn't jelly roll as badly.  I did get used to it even in chrome or on an app, but it's still noticeable! Samsung should have been ashamed for putting this device out with too low a refresh rate to handle the high end screen. 

0 Likes
Raitis
Apprentice
Options

If it would be just a couple of apps or browsers. I  have this issue even in Settings app, browser, YouTube, Play Store, Google News, Facebook and even in some games.

For this price, it really pisses me off!

0 Likes
DollarBill
Journeyman
Options

It's simply because this tablet was made to be used in landscape mode and has been optimised for this format hence the keyboard case accessory. If you buy a Tab A or another tablet that has been optimised to be used in portrait mode then it will be fine. But you will have the jelly effect then in landscape mode. I've tested this on various devices and I'm afraid you have to make your choice. None are perfect. 

Jverdoes
Explorer
Options

Mmmm, I think it is a poor excuse from Samsung to say that their prime and very expensive tablets are only good in one orientation. I truly believe that Samsung has an underpowered graphics processor for the S models therefore only they struggle with this issue, and they suffer badly. But hey, thats my opinion and I could be wrong 😉

I returned my S5e and bought a Tab A 10.1 which works very well in both orientations. Yes there is a bit of a jelly effect in landscape but so slight its hardly visible and does not trouble me at all. The jelly effect on the S5e was very bad and almost unusable in portrait. Fantastic screen and performance but a dud if you want to read anything.

The only downside of the Tab A 10.1 is that its not as brisk. My Note 9 is even more responsive than it but then again, its mainly used for reading and browsing. I'm not a gamer so can't comment on its performance there.

As mentioned before, I went to a Currys store and tested the S6, another S5e and various iPads and only the S-Amoled tablets suffered badly with this effect. The iPads were fine.

0 Likes