Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix HEIF images being rotated sideways

(Topic created on: 13-11-2020 01:59 PM)
AlHaj
Explorer
Options
When taking pictures with HEIF/HEIC format then sharing them to other apps like Instagram, telegram or WhatsApp etc the images are rotated, the images are sideways for no reason.

Want to try this bug yourself? Make sure you're saving in HEIF photo format first, turn off 'convert HEIF images when sharing' in Samsung Gallery because you want to force apps to use HEIF, not JPG. 

Now when you share images in apps like WhatsApp or Instagram you'll notice your photos being rotated sideways or other weird rotation. It appears fine in your gallery but once you share the image it'll rotate for no reason. 

This bug isn't specifically tied to One UI 3 but has been an issue for 1 year and I'm hoping One UI 3 will fix it. I'd love to use HEIF but with weird bugs like this it just discourages users from using it. 

Here's other users in the community facing the same issue:

9 REPLIES 9
HeheItsMe
Pioneer
Options
sorry completely unrelated but how did you get the pixel wallpaper? It kept changing back to the s20 wallpaper on my phone
0 Likes
AlHaj
Explorer
Options
are you changing your theme frequently? if you change your theme then your wallpaper resets, if not then I'm not sure.

I'm using the Google wallpapers app to apply it, try turning off battery optimisation for pixel wallpapers app and for the wallpapers app, the battery optimisation might be killing it.
0 Likes
MartynaK
Beta Moderator
Beta Moderator
Options

@AlHaj,

Please, report this issue via the Members application, so that our developers can analyze the issue! Do not forget to attach log files! Thanks! 😉

0 Likes
Samuraix1
Journeyman
Options

HEIF photos rotate in Whatsapp no matter if you activate the "Convert HEIF images when sharing"

In Gmail they rotate when you attach a photo within Gmail, if you share from the Gallery it converts it to JPG and not rotate.

It does not rotate them in Instagram when "Convert HEIF images when sharing" is activated but does rotate them when it's deactivated.

Telegram seems to work fine either way. 

Samsung S20 Android 11 and 10 phones. 

0 Likes
jpgl
First Poster
Options

I have a Galaxy 21 ultra and the issue is still here. When I share to Twitter the images appear rotated, then I fix them in the Twitter editor, and then the images appear rotated again in the final tweet (lol). Was hoping to find a solution...

stluc
First Poster
Options

Any news? This is really annoying

0 Likes
Samuraix1
Journeyman
Options

Can't believe this is still a thing.. 

WTF Samsung?

0 Likes
dkerton
First Poster
Options

Yep, Sept 2022, and I still have the same problems described in my S22 Ultra. Seems ridiculous that Samsung could take so long to fix such an important problem with PHOTO SHARING!! One of the top applications of smartphones, ever since smartphones existed! Seriously, the camera features are the MAIN marketing focus of new models, and they can't make the social aspect work?

Like jpgl, I have tried to edit the photos to be pre-rotated, but they REVERT to the original mistake. Here's specirics.

1 Take a photo, totally landscape, normal side up, in HEIF mode, not jpg.

2 Photo looks good on the phone.

3 Share from the gallery, from Google photos, or pull the photo to share from an app like Whatsapp or Twitter, and the photo appears on those sites rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees.

4 It doesn't matter if you try to fix it with rotations, either in Gallery or in the sharing app like Twitter, it will STILL revert to sideways.

5 The problem: The HEIF format is not new, but is sill not fully adopted or implemented on all these apps. So, you can save storage space in your phone by using it, but you lose compatibility across apps. In the EXIF data information about your photo, stored in the HEIF file, it has coded a certain orientation for the photo, and that is either communicated wrongly, or not at all because the app (ex: Twitter) doesn't read it right.

5b Other Problems: Many other websites don't recognize HEIF photos at all, like Craigslist. So when you try to upload your photos to sell an item, they simply won't appear as photos, and you can't upload them. You have to convert them first, or re-take them as jpg. Quite a hassle.

6 The Solution: The ONLY way to rid yourself of these problems, at least for now, is to revert to using jpg file format in the camera app.

7 The Future: Other websites and apps need to get better at using HEIF. Meanwhile, Samsung OneUI needs to have a converter built-in that works well, all the time.

0 Likes
HPWAS
First Poster
Options

This remains an issue as of March 12, 2023. 

0 Likes