Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE50QN90A + amd 7900 XT problems

(Topic created on: 10-01-2023 03:00 PM)
Aleksander111
Explorer
Options

Hello,

Ihave been playing for about 1 year on my qe50QN90a tv, with nvidia gpu on 4k 120hz with HDR + gsync with no problem, 2 days ago i got 7900XT sappire radeon graphics card.

My specs:

b450 gaming pro plus,

ryzen 9 5900x,

7900 xt gpu

32 gb ddr 4 ram ( 4x8)

Basically when I got gpu I went to test everything out and I found out that HDR isn't available in tv settings,

on Windows 10; i've enabled HDR, in game HDR is enabled, 

on adrenaline software: Free sync premium pro activated, when i go to gaming mode settings or on picture settings, i can see my tv is still on SDR mode, and that HDR is not active.

I have tried reinstalling drivers completley, I have tried same method on Windows 11, I have tried setting custom resolution, using CRU and nothing works.

I have switched gpus and with Nvidia gpu tv recognises HDR instantly.

When i wanna play games on amd gpu right now, whole screen becomes dim, basically 10% of the normal brigtness HDR mode would have, and no depth to blacks is added. When i go with TV remote to check the signal input i can see " Free sync premium pro 120hz" and underneath "UHD" but there is no "HDR " icon.

I have posted same thing on amd forums but they're unable to help me with this regard,

But i have seen A lot of people posted problems with HDR on amd gpu with qn90a. 

Any help would be appreciated, best regards,
Aleksander

52 REPLIES 52
JetSetter1984
Pioneer
Options

I have the same issue on my QN90A using a 6900XT. I have managed to get HDR in ST2084 with Freesync Premium engaged in 120HZ but either AMD driver is messed up or QN90A EDID is messed up, because Freesync Premium Pro is causing the TV gamma to lock at 2.2, not ST2084, causing the dim picture. NVidia 3080 I had previously used VRR and HDR perfectly. If only we could exchange freesync for hdmi forum vrr... Anyways do this to get brighter HDR...

Make sure tv input signal plus is enabled for hdmi port 4, which we will be using as this is the only port with hdmi 2.1 support. In TV menu it is settings>general>external device manager>input signal plus

In CRU folder, run reset all and then restart 64 so we are starting fresh. TV screen will go blank for a moment.

In tv menu, make sure your TV is in PC mode as the source. If it is not, unplug the hdmi and put back in port 4. It will ask if your device is a PC and you push the down arrow on the tv remote to confirm. Now turn game mode off. It should not change, but make sure you are still running HDR and 120HZ in windows display settings if it is not already, then 4:4:4 colour in AMD settings. Freesync will be disabled for now.

Open CRU and click on Extension Block (2 slots left) listing at bottom so it is highlighted blue and then click the edit button below.

Highlight TV resolutions and click edit. Delete the 24/25/30hz options here to free up space in the extension block and click ok.

Now, click add, and select freesync range from the menu. Put 48-120Hz. Click ok. Click ok again and you should be back to the cru main page. Click export and save your file as any name you want but leave format as .bin file

Now, close cru and put tv back to game mode and make sure you enable 120hz, 4k, hdr and full rgb 4:4:4 or ycbcr 4:4:4. It should be on freesync premium pro and looking dim as it was before. Open cru again. Click on import and load the file you just saved, leave CRU open. Now run restart64.exe in cru folder. Your display should now be detected again in freesync premium (not pro), which seperates the hdr from freesync, with the tv doing the processing using the st2084 gamma curve, resulting in a much brighter picture and better hdr all around. Close CRU.

Lastly, go in to your device manager and in the view tab, choose show hidden items. Click on the monitor listing and remove the listings for the qn90a which are not in use (greyed out) by right clicking and choosing uninstall. This will ensure it always detects the display in the mode you are in. I would also recommend going to the microsoft store and downloading Windows HDR Calibration. This will run you through a quick and easy calibration, similar to PS5 which will get your HDR perfect.

There is still an issue where switching between hdr on/off or changing resolution or refresh rate can cause signal loss. I have found that if I keep moving my mouse whilst making these changes, the signal is never lost. If you do lose signal, switch to another hdmi port and back again using tv remote. If still not detected, push ctrl, alt and delete together and try again as the screen which pops up by pushing these buttons is consistently detected for some reason...

I hope this helps you and others, please do not hesitate to reply and ask anything if you encounter any problems :smiling-face:

Aleksander111
Explorer
Options

Edit

0 Likes
Aleksander111
Explorer
Options

Hello.

Thank you for detailed explaination what to do,

Ive followed all the mentioned steps above, sadly hdr is still not detected on my tv no way what so ever ( only way to enable is to go to ganemode on - then off - then HDR is detected while tv is not in gamemode).

Samsung support said i should update tv ( which i already have ) and factory reset.  ( Did not fix problem)

At the current moment i am waiting for answer from AMD.

Any suggestion is appreciated

Thanks  for all help,

Aleksander

JetSetter1984
Pioneer
Options

I have repeated these steps and can confirm this is 100% working for me. My game bar shows freesync premium, hdr on and vrr on. In tv menu, picture settings shows gamma as st2084. It is exactly how I imagined it would be.

Please make sure you are following the instructions perfectly. Make sure you start the whole process with freesync premium pro on, in windows desktop with 120hz and vrr on and hdr on in windows, which will not show on the tv until you go through the process above. I have added this to the process to make it easier as I left it out by accident. If you try again ensuring the instructions are followed exactly, with no success, I will create a youtube video for you to watch so you can see how to do it on there.

JetSetter1984
Pioneer
Options

I have literally just gone through the whole process to confirm it works again and re-written the process as there was something in the wrong order that could possibly cause it not to work and a step which is now unnecessary. Please go through it again and let me know the results! 

Aleksander111
Explorer
Options

Hey. Sorry for taking so long to write back. Today I have tried again step by step and it   went like this:
1. have TV on gaming mode ( 4k 120HZ with free sync premium pro ON and HDR ON. ) input signal shows free sync premium pro with UHD icon, but no HDR icon.
2. checked input signal 4 is on ( it is locked ON ). 
3. went and  used restart64.exe - checked my pc is as PC source.
4. turned game mode on TV off. ( source settings on tv show 60z input signal plus UHD HDR. so i went ahead and changed back to 120hz, also checked other settings mentioned, all of them were set correctly.
5. when opening extension block it says "6  slots left instead of 2 ". newerthe less i went and deleted hz options to free space, added free sync range of 48 to 120hz, exported, tv in gamemode, checked if everything is enabled,  Opened CRU imported the settings, used restart64, but sadly problem persists. 

Try 2 ; before trying again, i've went to device manager and removed all listings of my qn90a that were not in use. everything was same, but when i turned gamemode off my tv stayed in 120hz mode. Sadly problem was same, as i did not get hdr enabled and my picture gamma in TV settings stays locked at 2.2.

I have also tried reverse effect and went importing this settings when i am in gamemode OFF, thinking i could get free sync to work without gamemode, but even this does not work.  I have even browsed a bit and some people say CRU method works for them, while some say CRU method doesn't work.
<
Thanks for trying to help me.

0 Likes
JetSetter1984
Pioneer
Options

OK that's so weird that it's not working for some. I'll have to upload a YouTube video and go through it, sometimes the visualisation and doing it live can make me or you realise something we're missing, but I'd imagine if it works on one qn90a it has to work on another. Another thing to try is a full factory reset via the service menu beforehand. Nevertheless I will post a video recorded on my phone and pc screen as a tutorial and demonstration, sending the link to you once it's uploaded. We will get this working for you. Freesync Premium Pro is trash because it requires the developer to map an lut for 2.2 gamma curve, which if doesn't exist appears dim and washed out, so by nature it is not true hdr which is why the hdr doesn't say on, because freesync premium pro takes control of the hdr away from the tv/monitor, so I believe it is working as intended, but Freesync Premium isn't trash as it lets the tv/monitor process the hdr tonemapping in true st2084 gamma curve and that's what we're trying to engage.

Aleksander111
Explorer
Options

Thanks for such a fast reply, I appreaciate the help realy.

I got AC Valhalla game, that has hdr option called free sync premium pro, after trying the game ( both normally in gamemode as i would play with hdr enabled | and with the guide mentioned above) when turning on HDR Free sync premium pro option it doesn't recognise it still, and i still cannot change gamma from 2.2 to 2084 which makes game look terrible.

I have also seen that port 3 could be working so i tried using port 3 just right now ( went trough detailed guide once more), but problem persisted.

Yeah i have performed factory reset of TV about 2 weeks ago, while i was in contact with samsung technical support, that TV has native support for free sync premium pro after that they said turn to amd, while amd doesn't want to even replay anymore. I have also double checked version of my TV. it is :  T-NKM2DEUC-2111.1 BT-S.

I haven't said before but, since time i have uploaded this thread,
-my friend has also lended me his 2.1 HDMI cable, and i've double checked but sadly problem is still here.
-I have tried setting connection from pc > soundbar ( passtrought )> TV, but i still have same problem.
-I have also updated from Windows 10 > 11, since people were saying hdr is better on windows 11 and i though I give it a try.
-I have also tried uninstalling my graphics driver and tried turning on gamemode on tv with HDR, but i still couldn't get my TV to work
-I have tried 2 different gpus to check if my gpu is actually faulty, but even on 6900XT and 6950XT but result was sadly the same.
-checked for ALL driver updates (manually + iobit driver booster .
- tried linking laptop with (3060) HDR is detected out of the box.

Funny thing is, that some people also mentioned, they "fixed" same problem by getting free sync to work while having GAME mode OFF, some are saying direct opposite, and i've also seen that its not only QN90A model that is affected by amd gpu HDR problem. Sadly problem is not that known - since not a lot of people have pc linked to samsung neoqled TV.  ^^

0 Likes
JetSetter1984
Pioneer
Options

Yes Freesync Premium Pro uses the 2.2 gamma standard, requiring developers to implement proper support, so it is operating correctly, just that because it uses 2.2 the tv will say hdr off, but it is actually on. This is why games with premium pro support actually look good once calibrated in the menu but everything else looks awful.

My TV says T-NKM2DEUC-2111.1,BT-S

It will definitely work, must be missing something! I will get the video done asap and link it. Confusing as to why your tv is listing 6 blocks free not 2... Supposed to be exact same edid as mine