Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

S8 - How to power off phone with security?

(Topic created on: 08/08/19 22:42)
Lim
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi folks,

Is there such a feature in Samsung's devices where you can enable security when powering off your phone?

I remember I used to have such feature enable in my S7, everytime I want to power off my S7, my phone will prompt me for the password which is the pattern lock that I have chosen.

I couldn't find it on my S8.

44 REPLIES 44
VeeSter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Type in the PIN you used to lock it online, to unlock it. That should unlock it. On the website there's also an 'Unlock' option.

PSYSCHOLOGICAL
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Works . I was doing it wrong. Cheers .
0 Likes
VeeSter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Great! Happy to help.

0 Likes
JIBACROWN
Observer
Options
Other Smartphones
Yes thats true, the request pin to power off your phone only work when your phone is locked. Buh i will implore Samsung to please work on the secure starter more better than this so that won't only be available when your phone is locked...and they should please work on the samsung cloud too, the security should be strong on like the icloud security. Please Samsung as for that all i want currently on the samsung devices because i don't use any other brands apart from samsung...
0 Likes
DC904
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
Thanks
0 Likes
HilaryMillinery
Just Browsing
Options
Other Smartphones

It only works if your phone is already lost and you've enabled this feature remotely whilst lost!

I followed the instructions and it showed the locked screen with optional 'lost phone' message and contact number.

I tried to power off and it rejected as desired.

Once I put in my PIN to unlock the phone I decided to test this feature and locked my screen.  I then pressed the power off (as if I was a phone thief) and it simply switched the phone off!!  That is what I am trying to AVOID!! 

I want this feature enabled ALL THE TIME, not just when the phone is already lost!!

.....or am I missing something?

Please enlighten me where I went wrong!!!

0 Likes
HilaryMillinery
Just Browsing
Options
Other Smartphones
That video shows how to lock on startup not power off
0 Likes
HilaryMillinery
Just Browsing
Options
Other Smartphones
Did you get a solution?
0 Likes
VeeSter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

If you click the link I provided either through a computer or your phone and login, you will see the following menu. Screenshot from my phone:

https://imgur.com/a/j2yXZvg

I've circled in red the lock button, it's enabled by noting the green checkmark in the corner. If yours is not enabled, do so by clicking/tapping on it. Next time you try to turn off your phone at the lock screen it should ask you for a PIN or password, whatever  you may have selected as security.

The first time I tried it did not work, but every time after that it worked, give it another try at the lock screen. Also ensure your finger is not on the finger scanner and your face is out of view if you have facial recognition turned on, because it takes biometrics as well and will turn off. Obviously if someone else tried it shouldn't work unless they have the PIN.

0 Likes
PSYSCHOLOGICAL
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
  • That's ridiculous,  you can only lock the screen if its lost , giving thieves the chance to power it off before you get a chance to do so on another device.  Also it would be great if you had the option to power it on remotely.  
0 Likes