Support

Open search

Incorrect Phone Number in About Device on S8

Highlighted
First Poster

My new S8 currently has a completely random mobile number in the my phone number section of About Device. I can't find how to change it to correct it. Any tips/ideas how to? 

91 REPLIES 91
Highlighted

All you need to do is put your SIM into an iPhone let it recognise your SIM, take it out put it back in your android and your done...

Highlighted

Oh but it does cause issues..in Google play it identifies my s7 ad a verizon account and lists verizon billing for dcb and absolutely will not switch to sprint or allow me to use direct carrier billing because it identifies my phone by the wrong number listed in the min

Highlighted
First Poster

My new note  8 also has a different phone number listed

How can this happen 

Highlighted
So... You switched your information from one phone to another, wrong number on profile sharing?
Then you switched it back, did a factory reset?
And then...., It was the correct number once you switched back??

Highlighted

I tried this but it keeps changing it back lol

Highlighted
So, an update... 

I gave up trying to fix the issue when the 000000000's appeared but have now noticed that they have been replaced.... Drum roll!... with my correct number. 

I have done nothing to cause this so can't say when or why it changed - maybe there's been a software update that's fixed it automatically? My new SIM has my correct number linked to it so maybe something caused the phone to read & update it.

Either way it's sorted, yay! 

Highlighted

Hello -- I've been having same issue descibed in this thread since switching from O2 to EE (big mistake).  I was advised by EE support to do use Samsung Switch for a complete backup and then do a complete factory reset.  I've done this and, not only it did NOT fix the problem, but I've lost loads of data on my phone.  BTW, it appears this problem does have consequences, I am unable to receive SMS Verification Codes from banks for online banking.  Please see attached screen shot as an example.  I've been searching the web for this problem and it seems this only happening to EE customers who have ported their phone numbers from other service providers.Screenshot_20180809-212335.png 

Highlighted

@MM404 wrote:

Hello -- I've been having same issue descibed in this thread since switching from O2 to EE (big mistake).  I was advised by EE support to do use Samsung Switch for a complete backup and then do a complete factory reset.  I've done this and, not only it did NOT fix the problem, but I've lost loads of data on my phone.  BTW, it appears this problem does have consequences, I am unable to receive SMS Verification Codes from banks for online banking.  Please see attached screen shot as an example.  I've been searching the web for this problem and it seems this only happening to EE customers who have ported their phone numbers from other service providers.Screenshot_20180809-212335.png 

Interesting. Although my issue revolved itself in the end (as per my Comment yesterday) I never had an issue receiving verification texts. I mention it in case that issue is in fact caused by something else. Good luck! 

Highlighted

I've already been through all the same issues . It never occurred to me that this would be the reason I wasn't receiving verification texts. Awesome!   😕

Highlighted

Hi Meremo1226 -- Which network are you on?  Are you with EE?  Did you port your phone number from O2?

Top Liked Authors