Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

how to delete an unsaved number from your call log

(Topic created on: 06-02-2018 09:09 PM)
nakita
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

how do i delete an unsaved number from my call log so with I put the digits in it does not show up again. please help asap using a Samsung galaxy s8 plus

0 Likes
Go to solution
24 REPLIES 24
Rune73
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

0 Likes
S_F_M
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

S_F_M
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

iPat144
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Next to deleting all calls of the unsaved numbers via "Phone", "Recents, "Search" (I typed prefixes/area codes to select & delete them as efficiently as possible) you also have to delete all messages of the unsaved numbers (listed as "unknown").

The following steps are for a Samsung S9. 

1. Open "Messages" App

2. Click "Search" 🔍 button 

3. Type the phone number's digits until your "unknown" contact's messages pop up

4. Select all of them and then click "Delete" 🗑

Optionally, you can do the following, to make sure the dialled number is deleted permanently (a "restore" could undelete the messages):

5. Back Up and overwrite your Phone and Message data via

➡️ "Settings"

➡️  "Accounts and Backup" 

➡️ "Backup and Restore" 

➡️ "Backup Data" on Samsung Account 

6. Uncheck all Boxes except "Phone" & "Messages" and click "Back Up" button at the bottom of the screen. 

S_F_M
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

DeanSmith
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Ipat144 your method won't delete the unsaved numbers. I just tried this and it doesn't work. Deleting the messages manually won't delete the unsaved numbers from the phone keypad system. Meaning when u dial only 3 digit of the following number, the whole number will pop up. How to prevent that number from popping up on the keypad was my issue. And it got solved by using SFM's method.

S_F_M
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

iPat144
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
I know it's about the number popping up while using the keypad.
I can only speak for myself that, after deleting the Call Log entirely, the number still kept popping up as "unknown" when dialling its digits in the keypad.

This was due to the fact that the number was still in my messages log (I think it's called "conversations". Sorry for muddling that up, I wrote the steps from memory. I didn't mean offend you 😏)

In any way, I'm pretty sure there are several ways to fix this. I'll try your approach on another number - it does sound neater.

In my case the deletion of the unsaved number from the message log was what did the trick, because it wasn't in the call log anymore. And even a toddler surely knows: what's not there can't be clicked.

0 Likes
S_F_M
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

@iPat144You didn't offend me, pal.

iPat144
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

[Edit based on feedback]

There are two approaches to remove unsaved numbers, listed as "unknown", from the suggestions that pop up when dialling the phone's keypad.

Option 1:

1. Open "Phone"

2. Click "Recents"

3. Click "Search" and type the first digits of the number 

4. Select & delete all logs of the unsaved contact listed in "Recents". This will delete ALL CALL AND All MESSAGE LOGS of the unassigned number, saved in your "PHONE" and the unknown number doesn't pop up via the keypad

Option 2:

If the unsaved number popping up in your keypad CANNOT be found via searching your phone's "Recents", the logs of the unsaved number are ONLY saved as "Conversations" in "MESSAGES" and can thus not be found via "PHONE". 

To delete those logs, causing the keypad problem:

1. Open "Messages" App

2. Click "Search" button 

3. Type the phone number's digits until your "unknown" contact's conversations are listed 

4. Select all of them and then click "Delete"

OPTIONALLY, you can Back Up your Phone and Message data WITHOUT the unwanted unknown numbers, thus OVERWRITING the data WITH the unwanted unknown numbers. This prevents the numbers from ever popping up in your keypad due to a Restore that still contains the deleted logs. 

1. Open "Settings"

2. In "Accounts and Backup" go to "Backup and Restore", then "Backup Data" on Samsung Account

3. Uncheck all Boxes except "Phone" & "Messages"

4. Click "Back Up" button at the bottom of the screen. 

FIXED 

0 Likes