Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD slot

(Topic created on: 16-01-2021 12:26 AM)
veljkovic92
Explorer
Options
Do we really need to start a petition as we did for Exynos last year in order for Samsung to stop with removing SD slots?
Top phones, such as S or Note, for their top price, need to have a support for SD cards. Especially higher spec, more expensive versions, such as Ultra models. This is needed for many reasons and justified by investment at that 1000+e pricing.
For example:
- When user wants to store lots of high quality audio files and use the phone as a player for those also.
- When user wants to save large files or use the device as a mass storage device.
- When user wants to store many media files such as photo and video,and possibly do a media production with those in an app such as GoPro.
- When user chooses not to use cloud storage but instead the local one (not willing to share the files or risk of exposing privacy, or not willing/being able to pay monthly subscriptions, or not trusting future of cloud service)
- When user wants to rely on the pure hardware of the device and not to depend on internet connection to access personal files (cloud, media transfer services, remote file access...).
- ......more..............

Simply put, it's totally understandable why this is done by Samsung and for whoever wonders why I'll briefly explain:
- Samsung has increased partnership with Google (which also recently added notification for mandatory monthly paid subscription) and wants to promote that strategy (for mutual interest)
- Samsung wants users not to pay to the third party companies (memory card manufacturers) but instead keep the money channeled towards them by offering more than one storage option.
- Samsung wants to distinguish the S from Note line and make S more oriented towards most users who want flagship device for every day use and Note for those so called "power users", PC/tablet all in one device, business people, etc...
- ... probably more.........

As a conclusion i will just add my personal thoughts to this:
- It is very controversial showing all the amazing new software improvements and implementations with hardware department (One UI 3.0, Smart Things, Camera and AI upgrades) which expand the world of possibilities user have and than to shrink these same possibilities by offering very limiting amount of storage to actually enjoy all of these. After i watched a full Galaxy Unpacked Event i was really left with a positive impression on all what I saw (even hearing about the charger i justified) but than i opened some random Youtube video and realized I missed one detail..... "No SD slot even on highest priced model". 
- With so many phones nowadays becoming so good at what they do, with current price/performance/function ratio of mid range phones it seems out of bounds for Samsung to make this move in the eyes of casual user and power user as well.
- I'm really becoming tired of writing so I'll just end this conclusion/feedback/issue/critic by saying that I'm still sticking to my amazing Note 10+ 512gb (with SD of 512gb) and hoping that Samsung don't make the same mistake for Note lineup as that would really be a door closing to some of the actual power users who would use that kind of phone to the maximum.

Thanks and have a great day.
21 REPLIES 21
veljkovic92
Explorer
Options
i am mentioning Samsung because I am using Samsung. As for the storage option Samsung offers, it isn't enough for my use case. And i know there are enough of other people who will pay 1000+e price for the phone but want that Slot. Those users shouldn't be left behind.
0 Likes
veljkovic92
Explorer
Options
😀 If you got bored than i probably wrote everything i wanted. 😀
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
The problem is, however, that Samsung will not listen to individuals. There are also other storage options. An external SSD, USB or a cloud. It is a small effort, but everyone is too lazy to do it.
Burnedice
Hotshot
Options

There is also a way, to sync each folder you want with your NAS at home. This can be done automatically. Its not much work. it takes 5 mins, maybe 10 mins once and you are done :winking-face: Sure it dosnt help, if you need more than 512GB at once, but to make it backup, it is the better way (in my opinion).

Grüße Burn

Mein Beitrag hat dir gefallen oder dein Problem gelöst? Dann freut mich ein "Like" oder die Markierung als Lösung.
Meine Hardware: Galaxy S21 Ultra 512GB, Galaxy Buds Pro, Wireless Battery Pack, Samsung TV & Soundbar
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Ich weiß aber ich habe keine NAS. Aber ich lege mir bald eine zu. Aber ne Große 😁
0 Likes
Burnedice
Hotshot
Options

@Anonymous User  schrieb:
Ich weiß aber ich habe keine NAS. Aber ich lege mir bald eine zu. Aber ne Große 😁

👍

Grüße Burn

Mein Beitrag hat dir gefallen oder dein Problem gelöst? Dann freut mich ein "Like" oder die Markierung als Lösung.
Meine Hardware: Galaxy S21 Ultra 512GB, Galaxy Buds Pro, Wireless Battery Pack, Samsung TV & Soundbar
toddel68
Voyager
Options
Das Problem ist auch nicht unbedingt der fehlende Slot, den konnte ich auch vorher wegen 2 Sim-Karten schon nicht nutzen. Für mein S10+ hatte ich mich deswegen für 512 Gb entschieden. Würde ich beim S21+ auch gern, wird aber nicht mal angeboten. DAS ist das Lächerliche. Und dann noch 8K pushen - als wenn das nicht riesige Datenmengen erzeugt...
Katzenfreund
Helping Hand
Options
yes
Schreib lieber auf Englisch
0 Likes
ehemaliger User1
Mastermind
Options

@veljkovic92 

I can't speak English and let the google translator help me.

A smartphone is not a pad, a notebook or a PC.

If you want to work with it that extensively, add a notebook. There is something like that in small versions too.

On the other hand, many notebooks that can be bought only have 512 GB SSDs installed and there is no possibility to retrofit a second SSD or HDD.

And on most notebooks you can only use external data carriers.

In addition, the card slide on the devices of the S21 series is decidedly smaller than on the predecessors and can only accommodate a SIM at the top and bottom, as micro SD cards do not fit in there.

0 Likes
Options
Do you hate me
0 Likes