Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 suddenly washed out colors, black crush

(Topic created on: 27-08-2020 01:26 AM)
xtexistenz
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I've bought this phone in 2018 with a pre-order before it even came out, I was really happy with this phone until now (I still think it's one of the best looking phones right now, no stupid punch hole, just a perfect design). It seems that there may be a problem with the display, the colors suddenly changed a bit right when I was using the phone, they were washed out and the display is somewhat brighter now at the same brightness setting, it looks like there's less contrast and the greys look very bad right now, they look a bit greenish and as I mentioned, brighter.

There also seems to be a problem with black crush now when the screen is at like 30% brightness or lower, it looks kind of pixelated and the gradients look very bad (gradient banding). I really loved this phone for the beautiful display but right now everything looks pretty bad.

I've never dropped the phone or anything like that, just used it normally. I don't believe that OLED screens only last for 2 years and I've always used it on low brightness (I don't even understand why a lot of people keep their phones at full or almost full brightness).

I'm actually not sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem? It seems to be hardware because I didn't change anything software wise.

Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do to fix it or is the display toasted?

Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
Members_uYQOkqN
Apprentice
Options

Literally a week after my warranty ended. Samsung wasn't helpful at all in fixing the problem, however very eager to recommend a new smartphone.. 

0 Likes
Members_uYQOkqN
Apprentice
Options

Same here.  Problem solved yet?

0 Likes
Yogesh4077
First Poster
Options

Same issue with my S9+, it was working until few weeks ago.

0 Likes
Yede Micheal
Apprentice
Options

Yes I used a mod; PM me on here. 

DannyT
Options

Hey., @Yede Micheal

We've deleted your personal data (email) to protect you. Users can PM you on the community then you can share your email with users you trust in a safer way.

Welcome to the Community!

Roman paudel
First Poster
Options

What is the solution??? Which mod

Galaxy s9 display
First Poster
Options

Same here after 15 mins of usage screen turns partially black or green as if dropped and broken

0 Likes
BerserkCore
First Poster
Options

This needs something like a class action lawsuit. Samsung has obviously sold a bunch of lemons.

0 Likes
s9plus user
First Poster
Options

bro the same happened with mine and still is. i searched everywhere but couldnt find a direct solution. the only thing which works for me is when i turn on the Always on display and when the screen is faded, i lock the screen and wait for the AOD to get activated and once activated i directly unlock my phone through finger scanner and the display gets fine..  if i unlock it immediately after locking it when the AOD is not activated then the problem is still there.  

0 Likes