Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra still throttles CPU after camera use (Feb. update)

(Topic created on: 09-02-2021 04:44 PM)
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Even after the February update the CPU still goes to ~40-42c with camera use. This causes a significant reduction in 3DMark scores. Would appreciate it if anyone can test that on his device. 3Dmark before camera, then 5-10 minutes of heavy camera use and the immediately running 3Dmark. Mine drops from ~5700 to ~3300. After cooling down returns to initial scores of course.

15 REPLIES 15
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Yes that is common to my stress tests and benchmark tests so far... I haven't done the camera work in the middle but you can see that effect if you run the 20 cycles of stress testing... after 3 or 4 loops the CPU settles into a position where it can sustain the performance rather than short bursts.   After the stress tests have completed and some cooling time, then this improves again.  However if you watch the stress testing during it running, it is not particularly apparent to the 'user experience' that the performance is being reduced to be able to sustain a decent performance. 

I think you would find that with any CPU... even in a PC or laptop used for high demanding tasks.  I use a gaming laptop and throttlestop... the Intel CPUs use a 'Short Turbo Power Limit' and after a set period (say 1 minute), it switches to a 'Long Turbo Power limit' which can be sustained for longer. 

In terms of 3D mark benchmarking, these routines are designed to be high intensive on the CPU load to push it to the max... but don't often show a real life 'use case'.  

I am always cautious to make too many assumptions on benchmarks, either by phone, or by gaming PC optimising... it is the real user experience that matters most, and often gives some recovery time to the processor during loading screens, periods of less intensity. 

My screenshot below shows the 3D mark stress test results across 20 consecutive runs.  You can see it reduces after a few runs... but then sustains the level of CPU performance for the rest of the test. 

Kind Regards
Smiley :smiling-face: 

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
attached 20 cycles of stress tests

Screenshot_20210209-171144_3DMark.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-171151_3DMark.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-171157_3DMark.jpg

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
michael39
Navigator
Options
my scores are a bit better but I have the s21+
0 Likes
michael39
Navigator
Options
here are mine

Screenshot_20210209-174711_3DMark.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-174739_3DMark.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-174729_3DMark.jpg

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

I think the real question remaining is why descthe xanera cause sych hugh cpu kiad that afgrr a few minutes of load the benchmars already shiw throttled scores. 

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Sorry. New keyboard. 

The real question remaining is why does the camera cause such high CPU load even after just a couple of minutes of use to already show throttled benchmark scores.  

0 Likes
Bt32
Voyager
Options
Did you use smart switch on your phone at first use to restore because Ive read this can cause the CPU to spike afterwards during normal use. I just don't get this on my Ultra when using the cam, it remains cool with normal CPU usage.
0 Likes
Bt32
Voyager
Options
CPU running normally, dips down close to zero and then up on occasion.

Screenshot_20210209-182723_Camera.jpg

0 Likes
Bt32
Voyager
Options
Here its been on for 2min and CPU is close to idle speeds. Am I missing something here?

Screenshot_20210209-183141_Camera.jpg

0 Likes