Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bottom Mic not working for any of the apps after UI6 update on S21

(Topic created on: 17-12-2023 10:58 AM)
gr3g0r
Journeyman
Options

None of the apps can record anything from the mic1 (bottom), members diagnostics and voice recorder included. Voice recorder only works with stereo settings on. Camera recorder and calls are OK. There is nothing in the hole, mic permissions are on, apps also have permission to use the mic. And I haven't poked in to that hole mistakenly, because i did that with my previous Samsung. It all started after the latest updates (ui6, and the additional one- security patch level 1. December). App in question is not mutted (universal tuner). Thank you for your help.

15 REPLIES 15
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
Have you tried phone diagnostic
When on the samsung members page click on the support button and run phone diagnostic Mic
gr3g0r
Journeyman
Options

I did, thank you. Mic1 does not pick up any sound at all.

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Try Below

go to “Settings” > “Security and privacy” > “Privacy” (the path may differ by manufacturer) and ensure that “Microphone access” is activated. Additionally, check the “Application permissions” menu to manage access for specific apps
0 Likes
gr3g0r
Journeyman
Options

did that, all set up correctly. either the mic is really not working (hardware failure) or there is some software bug that was introduced with the latest update.

0 Likes
timmymarsh
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

It is a software bug on ui6, i have the same problem on A54 5g, others are having the issue too in various countries, lots of recent google threads appearing.  I reported this to samsung 3 weeks ago, had to do the usual rubbish of clearing cache etc, which effectively is just time wasting and stalling because they haven't figured out what's happening yet. i expect this will be picked up in the next update.  Would be nice if someone from samsung would reply.

ex senior moderator @ XDA-Devolopers
timmymarsh
Apprentice
Options

Hey Steve, ive tried that a few times, it's an intermittent issue, affecting many different models after 6.0 update.  WhatsApp, messenger, snapchat all affected.  No issue with phone calls at all so defo software bug that Sammie need to address on their next release.

0 Likes
timmymarsh
Apprentice
Options

See my posts above :smiling-face: it's not hardware related :smiling-face: software bug. 

0 Likes
gr3g0r
Journeyman
Options

You are right, there appears to be a software issue at hand, as replacing the microphone has not resolved the problem. The January update unfortunately did not address this. Did you try reset the phone after January update?
Additionally, for those concerned about potentially damaging the microphone while attempting to access the SIM slot, rest assured that the microphone is positioned perpendicular to the access point. Therefore, using a rigid pin for SIM changes poses no risk of harm to the microphone.
I hope Samsung will take prompt action to rectify the microphone issue. Currently, a number of applications that depend on the main microphone's functionality are impaired, including Google Assistant, ChatGPT Voice, the mono mode in the voice recorder, Shazam, etc....

0 Likes
timmymarsh
Apprentice
Options
Hi, no, I disagree with hard resets, no guarantee it would resolve the issue. Fingers crossed Sammie get on this.