Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASHA technology

(Topic created on: 10-03-2021 11:48 AM)
Marcin ASHA
Journeyman
Options

Dear Sirs,

Do you have information about the list of smartphones that have ASHA (Audio Streaming for Hearing Aid) technology. The official distributor in Poland has no idea which models have ASHA technology, hence this post.
I know that ASHA technology requires Android 10 and BT5, but unfortunately not all smartphone models with these systems have ASHA technology activated. My questions:
- can ASHA technology be run on smartphones other than S10 / S20 / Note9?
- what is inherent in ASHA, that it is available only in premium models so far
- do you know other models from brands other than Samsung that have ASHA technology

Details for ASHA:
https://source.android.com/devices/bluetooth/asha?hl=en

Go to solution
35 REPLIES 35
Rumelik
Journeyman
Options

Hi Kholal, Is there any way to update the software on my A41 so that it works with my hearing ***** (for one way streaming)? The hearing ***** are definitely ASHA compatible.  Hearing Aid Audio Support Using Bluetooth LE  |  Android Open Source Project

Compatibility (oticon.com)

0 Likes
Members_V3brQc6
Student
Options

Hello Rumelik,

If you cannot find 'support hearing aid(s)' in the hearing enhancements/improvements section, I think it will not work on your smartphone to stream to your hearing aid(s) through Bluetooth. As I posted previously it works fine with my Samsung A12 but not with the newer A13 (?!?)... I think this is not a priority for Samsung and they offer this feature on their more expensive smartphones. Shame!

PS: I have Android 13 on my A12. Also on the A13 but there is no sign of supporting hearing aid(s)

CD14
Apprentice
Options

Hello Rumelik,

If you want to check whether your phone has the aid hearing function, this is the right place: https://www.cellcom.com/accessibility.html#hac. Unfortunately the S10 is not mentioned...

KholaI
Options

Hey @Rumelik 

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to do this. If the phone doesn't have the supporting hardware, a software update won't change this. Hope this clears things up.

CD14
Apprentice
Options

I bought a new Galaxy A14 5G because my old one (A12) has problems with the charging port. Well, everywhere I look, I see that the A14 5G should be ASHA compatible. Well, I am very disappointed and frustrated that it doesn't work at all. As I mentioned before, you can check this by looking at the Hearing Enhancement section: if Support Hearing Aid(s) is mentioned, it will most probably work fine which is not the case with my brand new A14 5G!!! Nobody at Samsung can give me an explanation, so I have decided to send it back. 

Has anyone - owing this smartphone - any experience with this particular problem? I would be very grateful. 

Kind regards 

0 Likes
janeway
Journeyman
Options

Hi

I have just received a reply from Oticon:

Your Hearing ***** model is not technically enabled to stream directly from Android devices.

Direct streaming from Android devices to Bluetooth LE hearing ***** has only been possible for about 1.5/2 years, when some Android manufacturers started to implement the Audio Streaming for Hearing ***** (ASHA) protocol. Only our latest hearing aid models issued after the beginning of 2021 (Oticon More, Zircon, Own, Play PX and Real) are able to stream directly from ASHA -enabled Android devices.

So basically you need to have the latest hearing ***** to work with your Android ASHA phone or you have to buy an iPhone!

I have to rely on the NHS ones which are: Engage BTE (firmware 6.1) so basically they won't work with ANY Android phone!

0 Likes