Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Transfer data of WhatsApp to new device

(Topic created on: 17-12-2023 08:30 AM)
GeoA13
Explorer
Options

I have bought a new Samsung mobile phone and the shop where I bought the device from, transferred all the data from my old device to my new device. However, my Google mail and WhatsApp messages were not transferred. Google mail and WhatsApp apps were transferred without the messages. I guess for Google mail I need to add the email account on my new device and then the emails will be transferred. But what about the messages and contacts of WhatsApp. How can I transfer them from my old to my new device?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Neo001
Legend
Options

If the old phone is running on Android, then you can back up WhatsApp messages and media to Google Drive on your old phone. On the new phone, once you install WhatsApp and sign in, it will give you an option to download the backup from Google Drive.

View solution in context

13 REPLIES 13
pewdiepie25
Apprentice
Options
You simply can't. The reason they didn't transfer, I sbecaus you can't get WhatsApp on android and only on apple. It isn't just WhatsApp you can't get bc there are other things like snapchat and tiktok you cant get on android
Solution
Neo001
Legend
Options

If the old phone is running on Android, then you can back up WhatsApp messages and media to Google Drive on your old phone. On the new phone, once you install WhatsApp and sign in, it will give you an option to download the backup from Google Drive.

Piper123
Maestro
Options
Since when has WhatsApp not been available on Android?

Same question for Insta,Snap and TikTok?
keith30
Maestro
Options
I had WhatsApp on my S22ultra device when I first brought it in June 22 so your wrong there. Have you got the update Andriod installed, it tells on the app what you need to have to run it. Google used to allow the WhatsApp data to backup on Google Drive but recently Google changed the backup rules and you have to backup to Google One which means it fills up your storage system and if you go over a certain limit then you have to buy more storage. So people need to be aware it know longer backup's to Google Drive.
Neo001
Legend
Options

It still backs up to Google Drive, just that the backup is counted towards the (free) storage limit.

Screenshot_20231217_115020_WhatsApp.jpg

keith30
Maestro
Options
Yeah, at the moment but Google are making changes it's free for now but once it reaches the limit you'll be charged. They are removing the feature where at the moment it is backup on there system servers but that is being removed from Google drive and you will have to backup to Google One that takes up your own storage on your device
Piper123
Maestro
Options
@keith30

I think you have misread. I have WhatsApp on Android. It is @pewdiepie25 who said it wasn't.
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yep this is the easiest way to do it
pewdiepie25
Apprentice
Options
What! I have never been able to get any of those apps on my phone. It may be bc my phone is very old. I have a samsung galaxy J3