Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message notification

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
jonpr
First Poster
Options

On my Samsung A40, I  get a notification sound when i receive a text, but then no sound when I get another text from the same sender shortly afterwards.   I.e., I reply to the first text,  but then get no notification on any follow-up message.   I'm guessing this is a default setting (because one wouldn't normally want notification of every reply to an on-going conversation), but I don't want to be checking my phone all the time in case of follow-up messages when I think a conversation is finished, so how I can set it to play the sound on every message I receive?   I do have the manual, but can find nothing that seems to cover this.  

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Captainrapscallion
Navigator
Options
Do you get a sound on the first notification? If not, then it is in settings.
0 Likes
jonpr
First Poster
Options

Yes - but I want the sound on every text message received.   At least after no longer than (say) 30 seconds since the last one.  The issue is I keep missing follow-up texts from my gf!  She'll txt me, I get the notification sound, I reply, I put the phone down (because I'm busy).  But then she might get back to me within say 15 seconds, and if I'm not looking at the phone I'll miss it, because there is no notification sound.   So she sends another - and I miss that!  I don't want to have to keep checking my phone in case I miss messages.

0 Likes
Captainrapscallion
Navigator
Options
Hmm. Tricky.
0 Likes
jonpr
First Poster
Options

Quite!  Does that mean you don't know the answer?   If not, do you know how long the default setting is before a new message will produce the notification?  Just so I know how long to stare at my phone in case I get another text.... 😒

0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
What txt message app are you using, Samsung or Google. Are you using conversation view. If Samsung and using conversation view then ensure notification bell is not turned off. Blue is on as per screenshot.1715074892197.jpg
0 Likes
jonpr
First Poster
Options

Samsung and Conversations is on.   As I said to start with, I get the notification sound on new messages.  But I don't get the sound in subsequent messages in the same conversation.  Of course, this is not a problem if I have the phone in my hand, and the conversation is ongoing.  But if I reply to a txt and put the phone down - just for a few seconds - then I get no notification of any follow-up txts.   I don't want to have to keep checking the phone in case of a new message, so I want to hear the notification on every message received - and I'll put up with it in an ongoing conversation if I have to.  

As far as I can tell, I have all the relevant notifcation settings on.   The only ones off are Foreground syncs and App icon badges.   

I have just discovered the option (under this specific contact) to "Set this as not a conversation".   Could that be the answer?     There is also a Priority box which is not checked.  (Alert is checked.)

0 Likes
Captainrapscallion
Navigator
Options
I am not an expert. So I really have no idea. Sorry.
0 Likes
jonpr
First Poster
Options

OK, well, thanks anyway.

0 Likes