Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Unable to hide navigation bar

(Topic created on: 13/02/19 14:33)
Craigmc
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi all. The software on mu new S9 was updated overnight and now I can't hide the navigation bar. Is there a workaround? Samsung customer support weren't any use! Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
TracyR
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hey @Craigmc 

How you liking your slice of Pie so far?

There are two options for the Navigation Bar on pie:

Settings > Display > Navigation Bar > Show Navigation Bar/Gestures. 

:smiling-face:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

View solution in context

71 REPLIES 71
Solution
TracyR
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hey @Craigmc 

How you liking your slice of Pie so far?

There are two options for the Navigation Bar on pie:

Settings > Display > Navigation Bar > Show Navigation Bar/Gestures. 

:smiling-face:

Say "hello!" and

View solution in context

Craigmc
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Thanks. They're the two options I've found. No option any longer to hide the bar . .
TracyR
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

You're unable to hide the bar completely, the options there are the only two available following the update.

Say "hello!" and

Craigmc
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Thanks, TracyR

jv18
Hotshot
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Craigmc you can quickly switch back when you add shortcuts to the notification barScreenshot_20190201-150454_Samsung capture.jpg

Craigmc
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Thanks, @jv18. That seems complicated for a techophobe such as me!
Stej01
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@jv18 wrote:

@Craigmc you can quickly switch back when you add shortcuts to the notification barScreenshot_20190201-150454_Samsung capture.jpg

Thanks for the info, I'll have use this from now on it seems, but It annoys me somewhat that I had to go on a forum to find this method, as without looking through my notifications menu buttons I'd never of found it. Why remove a little dot that was able to be turned off anyways? Backwards updating for the sake of it. Last I remember, I DIDN'T buy an iPhone...

B0bb1ns
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Why has this topic been marked solved? It isn't solved as there's no way to hide the navigation bar. Instead we have a workaround that works differently and isn't as good
Stej01
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@B0bb1ns wrote:
Why has this topic been marked solved? It isn't solved as there's no way to hide the navigation bar. Instead we have a workaround that works differently and isn't as good

I thought this too, no doubt a moderator marked this as a solution too, it's barely a solution at all nevermind accepted!

Davetherave84
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Seems to me that Samsung like to try fix things that aren't broken and end up creating problems. 

There was absolutely nothing wrong with being able to hide my navigation bar and I liked the fact I could use my full screen. 

This along with some other issues imo is a massive step backwards Samsung!!

Please fix it.

roastedwookie
Pathfinder
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Only if the gesture system was any good, but it's horrible. Why on earth haven't they implemented it the way Pixel phones have? with that pill and arrow?? Or simply leave the hide option alone!

Legumious
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

For the first Google response I found, this "solution" is pretty trashcan. The solution is that the functionality was removed, and alternatives need to be found. 

0 Likes
KTScot
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Just updated the software on my Samsung Tab A 10.5 and now I can't get hid my navigation bar!!! It's so annoying & I've only been using it for a few hours!!! Why Samsung????
0 Likes
Ni-van
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hello,

How do you create specific shortcuts ?
And also what is the "search/settings/..." you have below the time on the top right ?

Thank you !Screenshot_20190817-090244_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
Ni-van
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hello,

How do you create specific shortcuts ?
And also what is the "search/settings/..." you have below the time on the top right ?

Thank you !!Screenshot_20190817-090244_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
Leapinz
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Yeah so mine ia completeoy locked so i cant do that

0 Likes
Yassin2
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

They removed it from the  notification bar how do i get it back

0 Likes
Heps
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

You can, go to the navigation setting and at the bottom it will say gestures, turn that off and the bar will disappear completely and you can still slide up to use which ever button is needed.

RETROJAC
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

gestures isn't the same as swipe up navi though.

done that with hide hints and using swiftkey till samsung sort it... if they sort it 

0 Likes
RETROJAC
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Worst part is when I am in live chat with for example my bank and the gestures takes me back a web page because I accidentally catch it then I have to wait another 40 mins to re-connect. I get why you put the grey nothingness at the bottom of keyboard to avoid catching them but still do anyway the swipe up then press was slower but more efficient as you had a chance to not accidentally swipe the back key! . Also what is with the camera UI you actually made it a longer process to switch between 4k 60FPS etc.