I think it was the UPS tracking app (i guess not the official one) took over my messaging and made itself the default messaging app, eventually i turned the default back to my messaging & removed this app, still I cannot send or receive any txt messages.
I have tried downloading another messaging app set that to default messaging but still the same.
I factory reset the phone tried another simcard Lebara, requested a new vodafone sim card but its still not working.
No, that's your problem, I suspect. A recent Vodafone update is causing problems as it contains incorrect APN settings. You need to create a new entry in APN settings with the correct values as shown on their website and you should be good to go. Make sure to add, not edit the settings.