Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S9 SD card issues

(Topic created on: 03-01-2019 11:59 AM)
S9issues
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I have an S9 and I'm having so many issues with my SD card. Everything was fine for a long time  then I was having issues with images. I can take a picture, or download it just fine. I can see it stored in the app. Then after a short time, when I try to reopen the image, it says it failed to load. When I connect to my computer, it gets the same message. I thought it was just the card  so I bought a new SanDisk card, formatted it and installed it. Now I'm having the same issue AND when I try to download music from the Amazon Music app, it immediately deletes the music from the card.  It works on the device, but not the card.  I can load it, but soon after it gets deleted.  I have only used about 10% of the storage space on the card. This is so frustrating.

0 Likes
Go to solution
15 REPLIES 15
Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi can I ask are you having the problem where it shows a SD error code or the one where suddenly your pics are replaced by grey screen with  exclamation points. Followed by there is no SD card detected 

0 Likes
Eviltweety88
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Mine is the losing photos to the gray with exclamation point !

Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

The best you can do is take out the as card, copy everything to Google photos and/or Google drive, (I also copied everything I could to a 128GB  USB 3 .1 flash drive) then set phone up to auto-matically copy all photos instantly to Google photos. I have also texted and emailed important ones to myself. 

Out of the several hundred  photos I lost when it started and through many attempts to fix the prob I think I only ever retrieved 1.(lots of my grandkids some of parents who are both deceased).  So far to the best of my knowledge nothing anyone has tried worked long term. 

There was a thread a few of us were on for 2  1/2  years maybe closer to 3. Some fixes will work for a few days or months even but none seem to really last. For me eventually the phone started corrupting photos in my gallery even with out an SD card in it. One a few here and there but I deleted over 147 couple months back (saved them to a seperate album to see how many)

Other backups would be Google drive a cloud account Amazon photos, if your a prime member, Roku or streaming media box if you have a comparable one,  text, email or message to your self. Or if you know how burn to disks ect. 

If you can connect to the old thread we had going maybe you can try some of the suggestions on there some worked for a few months at least and 1 or 2 may have worked for a few but no one reported back. Just back up and copy or send everything first. Can also use Google activity go to it and try downloading all your activity maybe some saved it there ... Just make sure you have the space it takes alot. Then copy it to something else as well. 

0 Likes
ashtad
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

that's exactly it! no matter what sd card I use, formatted, no matter, every pic that is saved on sd card is a grey box w ! .... & they are all lost. Eventually it starts eating other pictures so it sux bad!

0 Likes
Ms_Tony
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

For awhile it even  got to the point where I'd take a photo, with no SD card in my phone, and I would go to look and there was nothing. It was like I hadnt taken a pic at all. Some were right away some were couple hours later they'd just be gone. Other would be just fine. 

While trying to list items for my work the hit and miss photos was real fun. 

Fortunately after several updates that stopped mostly, once in awhile I still have one disappear but not often. I also had started using another phone for photos.. I still have the problem with grey ! Now and then but without an SD card it has been much less often.  

It is only a spare or backup right now since without an SD card it was at 95% storage almost constantly. If you continue using SD card eventually it affects files even ones just in phone storage. 

I had tried cards of almost every size, speed, brand that I could find. One guy replaced his sim tray and that helped for awhile.  

Factory resets... Bringing phones to Samsung repair centers who say it's a phone problem  but Samsung themselves wont admit the problem exists.  I skimmed emails in the Samsung community folder (s9 s9+ as card problems) today. 

0 Likes
Eviltweety88
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

That's why my Note 9 is the 512gb version...Just in case this was still a problem. I dont even keep the SD card in the phone anymore. Samsung can't or won't fix the problem (since it started on the 4!!). They even did away with the SD cards entirely in the 6's and lied to us saying the problem had been "resolved". It may force me to a different brand eventually. I can't afford to have this happen with my work info. 

0 Likes