Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Multi-window feature not available on S9+ pie update

(Topic created on: 14/05/19 16:29)
Lalaland11
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

This morning I was frantically searching for the multi-window split screen but apparently the latest update no longer supports this feature. The new icons are hideous and now they decided to remove multi-window as well!!! Please bring back this feature bcos its really annoying when you can no longer multi-task on your phone. 😥

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution
Lalaland11
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I ended up ringing Samsung and the problem is fixed. They changed the way to access the multi-window feature. First, you need to press the bottom 3-line button once and the list of opened apps will appear. Then press on the icon at the top of the app you wish to split screen and select from the menu 'Open in split screen view'. Its a tad more difficult and somewhat a hassle but at least they didnt remove the feature from the system.

View solution in context

Solution
AndrewL
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
@Jegan1: To use Split Screen View please tap the Recent Apps button (default is bottom left corner) > Tap the thumbnail image above the relevant window > Open in Split Screen view. This will display the app in the top half of the screen, and any app you open after that will be opened in the bottom half. Hope this helps.

View solution in context

64 REPLIES 64
LeLeD120
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

EVERYONE- This is much better: 

Download GOOD LOCK.

An app  madeby SAMSUNG to replace all the cool features that Android took away. It reactivates split screen view & One-hand-operation features, AND Pop up view back to how it used to be where you just swipe down from the corner, or hold recents button. Makes it work like the old Samsung 7/Note 8 used to. but it doesn't change anything else with your phone whatsoever. The only thing it does is allow you to swipe down from corner for pop-up view,  or hold down for recents for split view, or swipe up for one-handed operation. It also turns all apps on to be able to open up in pop-up view. right now Andrew wants you to go through one by one to try to turn them all on but this app does all for you automatically. It's a setting so you can tell it not to do that if you don't want it but there's absolutely no reason not to.

0 Likes
LaBugRuMa
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Spoiler
Thanks for the heads up about that app - I will check it out.
0 Likes
LaLaLand
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Thanks for sharing this info...I was wondering what happened to the multi-window feature! I had an S6 with the feature, & when I upgraded to the S9+, it took me months to realize it didn't have the multi-window option. Which led me to your post, so thanks a bunch!!
LeLeD120
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
You're welcome! Good Lock also has other features that are cool as well.
0 Likes
Ramesh00
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

@Lalaland11 wrote:

I ended up ringing Samsung and the problem is fixed. They changed the way to access the multi-window feature. First, you need to press the bottom 3-line button once and the list of opened apps will appear. Then press on the icon at the top of the app you wish to split screen and select from the menu 'Open in split screen view'. Its a tad more difficult and somewhat a hassle but at least they didnt remove the feature from the system.

0 Likes
Ramesh00
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Lost multi window aap in handset
0 Likes
LaLaLand
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hey @Ramesh00 

Do the following, which I found on here:

"@Lalaland11 wrote:

I ended up ringing Samsung and the problem is fixed. They changed the way to access the multi-window feature. First, you need to press the bottom 3-line button once and the list of opened apps will appear. Then press on the icon at the top of the app you wish to split screen and select from the menu 'Open in split screen view'. Its a tad more difficult and somewhat a hassle but at least they didnt remove the feature from the system."

It takes more effort, but it worked for me! Good Luck😊

0 Likes
Maxozone
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
That is what the design teams are hired to do, they keep fixing it UNTIL it is broken!!
Jaye87
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
They seem to be catering to the new "Samsung users," who are really iPhone fanboys/girls. We don't want half of the things they have given us in these updates, including those ugly buttons and accessibility. The whole thing is terrible.
Kimgiffiths19
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Yep, it was a bit of an unnecessary change and isn't quite as fluid as it used to be.
Bre1
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
They also got rid of the mini screen display for videos that I could easily move around the screen. Now everything is so complicated I hate it. I was literally just using the feature not 3 hours ago and I dont understand how it updated while I was still on my phone, I wanna unupdate my phone I hate it!!
Thedee1005
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Settings-> Display-> Navigation bar

0 Likes
Michael78
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
Foreal why are they tweaking stuff that aren't broken. They should've left it alone I don't like this at all. I want split screen back.
0 Likes
Enjay
Voyager
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

You guys don't have it? 

Hit the recent apps button then when the apps come up hit the icon at the top of whichever you want, split screen is in the menu that pops up.

Michael78
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

I found the split screen mode. Samsung walked me through to find it. Thanks guys.

Jbarus
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

You can use multi windows too. When you select the recently used app button you can open in split screen, or "pop up" view which is what used to be multi window.

0 Likes
SolMama
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

:shocked-face-with-exploding-head:This is maddening .. It won't work at all even with the alternate option on my phone with the recent update.  I'm SO pissed because I wouldn't use it at all, then I gave in, tried it, toggled back and forth especially useful for financial and shopping tasks, etc... I had my occupational therapist take the time to teach me how to do this and several other features because I'm recovering from mini - strokes. Then, I got addicted to the feature and they take it away!!! Just got the phone in December and think I know how to use it and they CHANGE IT !!! AAAAGH! This isn't fair for anyone  but more so for those of us with disabilities. You literally program your brain &hands coordination... In this case I pad someone to teach me. And now it's gone. Not the first time Samsung  POORLY played! What would y'all do that? Just PLEASE bring back the double pane button!!!! 

Thedee1005
Observer
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Same button. Just select the app you want to split screen. 

0 Likes
SYLH
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Why should I click update SOFTWARE when all the good things are gone? No multitasking windows and no live weather wallpaper? 

0 Likes
Milena8
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series
I agree. I would like the old long press split s reen feature back
0 Likes
Jegan1
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

After pie update multi window disappeared. Find some answer but press tap key top right the three dots won't show the option split screen. How to use multi window?