Original topic:

Factory Reset after region unlock?

(Topic created on: 12/11/18 01:58)
nsabir
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hello,

I was wondering if factory reseting the device can region lock the device again after using 5min call to unlock the region lock. As far as i know it should stay unlocked. Still i want to be 100% sure.

Please help if you have any info regarding this.

Thank you.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Solution
AntS
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi @nsabir. :robothappy:

With there being a wide number of variables out there, no one can give you  a 100% guarantee, but from a strictly Samsung point-of-view, a Factory Reset on its own shouldn't affect the regional lock.

View solution in context

0 Likes
RickyT683
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi I also have this issue and I'm not sure the answer is clear. I bought a Galaxy S8 in Germany and took it to Russia (which is outside the region). I already unlocked it in Germany.

When I put in a Russian SIM, the phone gave me a message I won't be able to "use all provider features" until I factory reset the phone. I didn't do it, and most things seem to work normally, but I'm noticing little problems that are starting to add up, like the date/time won't auto update, Samsung Pay won't work at all and Google Pay won't work in stores. 

I am worried if I do a hard reset then the regional lock will be restored and I won't be able to use the phone at all.

Any advice? 

0 Likes
CarlH
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi @RickyT683. Samsung Pay is designed to be used in the region the phone was manufactured for which could explain the issues. 

0 Likes
RickyT683
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Aha. That's disappointing from Samsung. Well, they are only hurting themselves with these regional restrictions. Something I would expect from Apple.

Well, if anyone has an idea about whether a hard reset would re-lock my phone to Europe region again (which obviously, I don't want), I'd really appreciate it. I guess someone already answered the original post, just wondering if there are any other experiences doing it.

0 Likes
Nurrun
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi,

@I also bought my samsung note 8 phone in germany, and i unlock the region lock in there. I am using the phone in Turkey for 3 months and did not have any problem. But i transferred my phone number to another operator, and they gave me another SIM, but when i use it, it gives the warning that factory reset is needed to work out the SIM, but i am not sure that whether the region lock will be appear again. So, do you find out anything @RickyT683?

@RickyT683 wrote:

Aha. That's disappointing from Samsung. Well, they are only hurting themselves with these regional restrictions. Something I would expect from Apple.

Well, if anyone has an idea about whether a hard reset would re-lock my phone to Europe region again (which obviously, I don't want), I'd really appreciate it. I guess someone already answered the original post, just wondering if there are any other experiences doing it.

0 Likes
RickyT683
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 Series

Hi Nurrun,

Sounds like the same thing as on my phone. No, I haven't found out anything for sure. Since the phone works fine except a few features, I decided to wait until I take another trip to Europe (probably in the next month or two). I will reset it here before I leave and if it locks, I can just unlock it again in Europe. If I remember I'll come back here and report what happened. 

0 Likes