Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps crashing on my Samsung S9+ Secure Folder whenever I take a screenshot

(Topic created on: 16-03-2021 09:32 PM)
olu90
Student
Options

Hello,

I recently updated my S9+ on the 14th March 2021 (g965fxxsffub3) and I noticed that whenever I take a screenshot on my phone and try sharing it via any app (WhatsApp, Instagram) in my secure folder, the App crashes and stops working. I get error messages such as "WhatsApp keeps stopping" or "Instagram keeps stopping".

I have cleared the cache for these Apps whenever this happens but it doesn't solve the issue.

The Apps in my secure folder only get to work after I must have restarted the phone.

N.B: This issue doesn't happen to the other Apps(WhatsApp & Instagram) I have outside the secure folder. Reason I know it is a secure folder problem.

I will appreciate if anyone can help as it frustrating having to restart my phone every time I take a screenshot just to use an App in my Secure folder.

Thanks

72 REPLIES 72
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Exactly the same problem. I first have seen this after March security update.

Only the apps inside the secure folder are affected. After a phone restart, it works again but after some time, the apps inside secure folder start to crash when opening or when trying to type something

Example: Opening Whatsapp in secure folder is fine, but when opening a chat, it crashes.

Is there any solution to this other than a factory reset? Clearing the cache partition does not solve this issue.

whiteonit
First Poster
Options

I am experiencing exactly the same issue  various apps crashing including mail, audible, lloyds Bank app etc..  since installing the flowing build G965FXXSFFUB3

njpeeke92
First Poster
Options
same here as well , so many things do not work , any resolution?
Sammystorm
First Poster
Options
I have the exact same problem, never had any problems with this phone before until this recent update!
JD336
Student
Options

I updated my S9+ on the 21st March using the latest update available in New Zealand. I now find that Adobe Reader crashes, and I am told that Email keeps stopping, along with other apps crashing or stopping. None of these issues occurred prior to the update. It would seem that another update is required urgently to fix this update. 

The issues are not with apps or documents in the Secure folder. I tried restarting the phone but that had no effect. 

kmpm
First Poster
Options
MsSilence
First Poster
Options

Thank you, that worked.

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Just to clarify: This is NOT related to the Android WebView bug!

Yes, I also updated to the latest Android WebView version but this issue is still there.

As far as I can tell, it only affects the apps inside the secure folder, mostly (only?) third-party apps.

The apps crash if there is any text input selected. After that, the app force-quit itself. A phone restart solves this issue temporarily but after some hours it comes back. I still don't see a pattern here why or what causes the apps crashing issue to come back.

I also believe it affects only non-Samsung apps?

Example: Samsung Internet still works, even if any text input is selected. Other apps such as Whatsapp, Gmail, Ebay Classifieds etc. are crashing immediately as soon as any text input field is focused/selected.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

UPDATE:

I know the cause now and it is reproducible! (OP already mentioned it in the first post)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Take a screenshot (does not matter if outside or inside the secure folder)

2. Go to secure folder

3. Open any third-party app inside secure folder and select an text input field

4. App crashes

After that, a phone restart is the only solution to this. Currently, as long as no screenshot is taken, it seems to work fine. Furthermore, only the apps inside secure folder are affected, apps outside secure folder work normally.

My phone S9 has Android 10, OneUI 2.5, latest security update from 1 March 2021 installed. I think it happened after the March security update.