Support

Open search

Delayed notifications issue affecting all range of Samsung devices since at least half a year.

Highlighted
First Poster

Hello,

Introduction:

Currently ALL newer flagship models are affected by delayed notification issue for at least past 6+ months,  which started happening after around may 2018. Most devices are affected such as: S7, S8, S9, Note 9 and similar.

This is related to "doze" feature of android phone, where samsung optimization whitelist options are not working correctly thus affecting almost all samsung phones.

The issue  is reproduced during following scenario:

1. User locks phone, waits around 5m

2. App sends notification (which is not marked as PRIORITY in google push services).

3. User does not get notification

4. User unlocks phone, and suddenly multiple "delayed" notifications arrive.

Multiple users has reported the issue and tried various workarounds such as:

- Disabling battery optimization for certain apps

- Disabling all battery optimization options

- Making sure "WIFI" connection is always maintaned, even during sleep mode

- Making sure DATA connection is always maintaned

- Restoring device to factory

- Totally replacing devices with new ones.

- Wiping cache and similar

There is currently only one temporarly solution working, which is disabling doze using adb console. This workaround is temporarly and works until next reboot. It requires setting phone to debug mode and connecting to it.

"adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable"

Samsung reaction:

Samsung is totally ignoring the technical issue since at least 6 months or more. There are multiple threads all over the web about such problem existing. Examples:

1. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/Delayed-notifications/td-p/11494...

2. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/911157-push-notification-delay-when-screen-o...

3. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/886249-help-delayed-notifications.ht...

4. https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/904647-notifications-delayed-stopped-5.html

5. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-s9-plus/891659-s9-plus-delayed-notifications-can...

6. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/906887-delays-notifications.html

Implications:

The issue is making phone totally unusuable for people who rely on instant notifications, such as alerts related to financial services like declining stock rates and similar. I dont understand why such critical thing like delivering notifications in time is totally ignored by samsung. The issue is not present on any other android phones.

Request:

If you have ability to contact someone of samsung development team, please forward this thread to make sure there will be finally reaction. Please reply to this thread if you have same issue.

344 REPLIES 344
Highlighted

So at first this problem did appear on my Note 9. Now I got the Note 10+ and in the first 3 weeks everything was totally fine. Until yesterday morning when the problem reappeared. I checked the last installed Apps and the latest one was 7 days ago. Also with the issue of not receiving notifications the problem with stuck/not starting downloads in the play store reappeared. I have absolutley no clue on what the problem really is. Something "central" is affecting all this sh*t. I also use an Galaxy Tab S5e with absolutely NO problems whatsoever  and also my girlfriend wich is using a S8 also doesn't has any issues. I'm very very frustrated about this whole situation and I'm not sure what to do. My last hope is that the Android 10 Update will fix this f***ing sh*t.

Highlighted

@dst91 wrote:

So at first this problem did appear on my Note 9. Now I got the Note 10+ and in the first 3 weeks everything was totally fine. Until yesterday morning when the problem reappeared. I checked the last installed Apps and the latest one was 7 days ago. Also with the issue of not receiving notifications the problem with stuck/not starting downloads in the play store reappeared. I have absolutley no clue on what the problem really is. Something "central" is affecting all this sh*t. I also use an Galaxy Tab S5e with absolutely NO problems whatsoever  and also my girlfriend wich is using a S8 also doesn't has any issues. I'm very very frustrated about this whole situation and I'm not sure what to do. My last hope is that the Android 10 Update will fix this f***ing sh*t.

Exactly same experience I had.. Had it on my note 8, note 9 and now note 10+.

Always fine until a few weeks or months later the issue will return.. 

Highlighted

Quick update..

Definitely something happening on my home network but have not been able to pinpoint what the issue is. 

It's not the meraki Bluetooth as I initially suspected..

I have so many Bluetooth devices connected.. I need to slowly go through each one and see if I can identify which..

But it seems like issue stays away if I keep Bluetooth off..

Will provide more updates as I continue my process of elimination.. 

Highlighted

Interesting.  

Not discounting anyone elses experience, but just to reiterate mine - the problem disappeared COMPLETELY when I disabled Dynamic Lock on Win10 and removed the Bluetooth pairing between my laptop and S10+ (on Android 10).  BT is still on & active and I'm not having any issues. 

I keep bluetooth on 24/7 and paird to my Galaxy Watch, and other devices like my car, Galaxy Buds, other headphones, etc.  So even with BT still enabled, I am not having any notification issues.  And as I recall, the issue was present whether on LTE or WiFi (tried a bunch of different networks too and still had issues).  Though I did notice on occasion that throwing the device into airplane mode and turning it off would sometimes cause notifications to flood in...

Highlighted
I definitely think Bluetooth is the issue but I don't think its Samsung's fault. I think it's a Bluetooth issue in general and that is why disabling Dynamic Lock on my pc helped for me. Bluetooth just needs to go away; let's all go with Wifi Direct.
Highlighted
It's gotta be somehow related to how Bluetooth stacks work. That is why putting your phone into airplane mode and back on again cause notifications to flood in. Either way, at least its an easy solution since Dynamic Lock is cool but hardly necessary.
Highlighted
While I like WiFi Direct, Bluetooth still seems like a rather important/necessary communication protocol. Especially BLE for smaller low energy devices that may not be able to sufficiently power/maintain a WiFi connection on battery for a decent period of time.
However, I do agree it seems like a BT related issue. I applaud you for finding out about the Dynamic Lock feature causing this, it completely eliminated the problem in my case.

I hope the rest of the folks here can narrow down what is causing this issue. I was frustrated for MONTHS, especially having a "flagship" device and having such silly issues. Hopefully this gets solved soon. 😞
Highlighted

Since I don't use Bluetooth, that's not the fix for ME, but I can be happy for y'all.  It's crazy how many different causes lead to the same issue.  For me, for now, "adb shell" doze disable is working, and I just need them to add that as a permanent setting for mine to be all fixed, which it doesn't look like they're going to do.

And all this just from a Samsung forum.  I wonder if there's a Reddit thread with more possible fixes in it...

Highlighted
So I'll be the first to admit that I'm not entirely knowledgeable with android, but have you looked into any of those "wakelock" apps that run in the background to keep the CPU active? Again, I'm sort of a noob, and I'd imagine that an app like that would probably hog system resources and impact battery life, but just curious if that'd help keep the phone in an active state and prevent it from entering in "doze"?
Highlighted

That's a very reasonable question because it would have been easy to miss or dismiss something like that in 30 pages of comments.  Unfortunately, I DID try WakeLock 3 and it still didn't do the trick.  I was convinced too because it specifically says they solved the issue for Android.  Well, they say Galaxy and not S9, so maybe there's a significant difference in the way those devices operate.  Even with it running and all turned on, I would still get delays of up to 15 minutes.  Something happens every 15 minutes that makes it check, and then texts would come in.  Someone will figure it out someday.  As the cast of Glee once sang, don't stop believin'.  For now, it's good until I reboot, which I used to do with a nightly shutdown but now just put into airplane mode.  The only reason I prefer to shutdown is because every second that a computer is on is time that something can go catastrophically wrong with it.

Top Liked Authors