Support

Open search

Android pie beta program

Highlighted
Apprentice

Does anyone know if Samsung are launching a beta program for Android pie? The early builds are out. 

1,279 REPLIES 1,279
Highlighted

@markd66 wrote:

Nonwithstanding the mods advice not to flash ROMs from unofficial sources, I thought I would relay my experience of doing just that... :winking-face:

Before I start, if you are not sure about what you are doing then you are better off waiting for the official OTA release. Whilst the process is not that difficult, it does carry a degree of risk especially if you are downloading files from unofficial sources. The mods don't want you to brick your device or get it infected with malware or viruses. This is an official Samsung forum so we should respect their stance on this. 

For those that are interested in taking the plunge, please do your own research. There is plenty of info out there about how to flash using the stock bootloader. If having done your research you still feel unsure then the right thing to do is wait for the official OTA.

My device is an S9+ which was on BJR6 BTU, and I flashed via the SD card method. I find this is more reliable than using adb sideload and I know from prior experience that an SD update should receive future OTA updates. I downloaded the S9+ firmware from a source that is already referenced elsewhere on this forum. Before I started I used Smart Switch to make a backup of my device.

The flashing operation took about 8 minutes, with a further 3 or so minutes post-boot until the phone was usable. I didn't clear /cache.

Post-boot, I can report that Knox has not been tripped, Samsung Members has welcomed me as a Beta member, Google Play and Google Pay are working (I've used the latter to make a payment) and so far I have not spotted any other issues. For me, doing this update was worth the risk given that there's been a delay in the official OTA. Worst case, I will flash back to BJR6 BTU and join the OTA when it is released but fingers crossed I won't need to.

I'm on XEU so I imagine the firmware you flashed should be the same for BTU and XEU, I don't suppose you have the link to the file please? I know you said it's posted within this thread but there's a few links posted, I don't want to download the wrong one etc

Highlighted
anyone got a link to the beta firmware for sideloading I get back 20 pages and the site stops responding
Highlighted

@Garner wrote:

@markd66 wrote:

Nonwithstanding the mods advice not to flash ROMs from unofficial sources, I thought I would relay my experience of doing just that... :winking-face:

Before I start, if you are not sure about what you are doing then you are better off waiting for the official OTA release. Whilst the process is not that difficult, it does carry a degree of risk especially if you are downloading files from unofficial sources. The mods don't want you to brick your device or get it infected with malware or viruses. This is an official Samsung forum so we should respect their stance on this. 

For those that are interested in taking the plunge, please do your own research. There is plenty of info out there about how to flash using the stock bootloader. If having done your research you still feel unsure then the right thing to do is wait for the official OTA.

My device is an S9+ which was on BJR6 BTU, and I flashed via the SD card method. I find this is more reliable than using adb sideload and I know from prior experience that an SD update should receive future OTA updates. I downloaded the S9+ firmware from a source that is already referenced elsewhere on this forum. Before I started I used Smart Switch to make a backup of my device.

The flashing operation took about 8 minutes, with a further 3 or so minutes post-boot until the phone was usable. I didn't clear /cache.

Post-boot, I can report that Knox has not been tripped, Samsung Members has welcomed me as a Beta member, Google Play and Google Pay are working (I've used the latter to make a payment) and so far I have not spotted any other issues. For me, doing this update was worth the risk given that there's been a delay in the official OTA. Worst case, I will flash back to BJR6 BTU and join the OTA when it is released but fingers crossed I won't need to.

I'm on XEU so I imagine the firmware you flashed should be the same for BTU and XEU, I don't suppose you have the link to the file please? I know you said it's posted within this thread but there's a few links posted, I don't want to download the wrong one etc

https://m.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s10_model_numbers_revealed_three_versions_coming-news-33399.php

Jamie Warren
Highlighted

This beta is stable. I like. Google pay is not working. I love new gesture and night mode. Is stable to use like a daily driver. I love it

Highlighted

First go to sammobile and download the last software avalible. When the oficial beta is comeing out just flash the firmware and register for beta. 

Highlighted

Downloaded from mega, copied to my SD card and it installed perfectly fully working not tried Samsung pay as I don't use it, love the look of it so far 👍👍👍

Highlighted

when u open a folder the icons are to big but i can live whit this

Highlighted

Screenshot_20181121-175123_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20181121-175113_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Screenshot_20181121-175059_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Highlighted

Colchester not far away from me 👍👍👍

Highlighted

calls and messeges works like a charm. Facebook messenger and instagram work perfect. Notifications works. All work. So yes guys i recomand to update from sd. Dont whait. 

Top Liked Authors