Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find some justification for upgrade from the amazing S21U

(Topic created on: 02-02-2023 09:05 AM)
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

I was an early adopter of the S21 ultra 2 years ago... and it has been a fantastic phone.  Initially some teething problems for a few months, but once these were fixed with software updates, then the phone has got better and better with improvements.   It has also seen a lot of the same updates to cameras and other functions within the newer Android and OneUI software improvements that were released with the S22 Ultra.  

With Samsung designs, I always preferred the smooth lines of the S series rather than the note design, when there were two different products... and in the past have opted for the S6 edge, S8+, S10+,S21U in the last four that I have owned.  

I have to say that the S23 ultra looks fantastic and yesterdays unpacked video was awesome.    I am beginning to love the note design and I am so tempted, but honestly I do believe the S21 ultra to be still an awesome phone.   

2 years ago I did buy the top end S21U with 512GB... tick.   16GB RAM... tick.   It has similar pixel binning technology, 100x zoom, and received camera module updates for night mode etc that were unique with the S22U last year.   I would also expect some of the newer features from the S23 to propogate to the S21U.   

I understand the S21 is Exynos 2100... but to be honest I have never seen this as a limitation and the phone has hardly skipped a beat.   I have never been one of those reading the Snapdragon v Exynos articles... and for me the user experience is far more important than benchmark tests.  

Pure and simply... I still think the design of the S21 and camera module design, sleek lines and even the ability to use an S-pen (which actually in a larger pencil size) is also great.    Samsung made this S21U phone TOO GOOD !

Rather than jumping on the early adopters again for pre-order of the S23U, I think I will delay my decision for a few months to hear about the month long reviews of the S23U on youtube after release... and make a decision then.

For all those that have already pre-ordered the ultra yesterday, I am completely jealous and the phone looks amazing.   Obviously the cost is also large for the high end ultra, but just remember that to own the latest tech, and be one of the first, this can also add a little pain. 

Just be a little patient if there are a few niggles and bugs upon release.   The usual bugs and instability happen every release year, and within a few months it turns into the beast of a phone that it deserves to be.   Patience is the key.  Kind of like being on a beta test... if you expect everything to work flawlessly out of the box, then I would suggest holding fire for a few months, and buying when it is a little more mature. 

Enjoy your S23 ultras when the deliveries start rolling in. 

Yours jealously :smiling-face:

Smiley 

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
7 REPLIES 7
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That's great to hear how much you are enjoying the S21 Ultra.
You are one of many that really enjoy everything it can do.
Your decision to upgrade will be something you have to see.
Find a Samsung Experience Store or retailer that has the new phones. Get to handle them and play and see how you feel about it.
If the cost is a bit rich. I can recommend the S22 Ultra, and there should be some cracking deals on those now.
My S22 Ultra has been great this last year and I'm going to keep it rather than upgrade. I have a website exclusive colour version that I like.

There's nothing wrong with waiting anyway as after the phone is available, networks will be doing all sorts of deals to entice you
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Your not the only one who thinks the s21 ultra is an amazing phone. Bought the 512gb back in march 2021. Never experienced any of the early bugs. Been a fantastic phone, and very capable phone for the next few more years I believe. I love the design myself, but I also do love the note design. Never found edge's too sharp or dig into my hand. Once a case is slapped on never found it uncomfortable to hold. If I do upgrade, I will certainly miss my s21 ultra for sure.
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
I think the S21u was the first phone I've properly loved...it blew me away...since that point they have all been iterative and functional...

It's always tempting to go to the latest shiny thing thats been marketed to the max..but you've always gotta think...'do I really want this?!'
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I have to say @smiley that I am going to be a very greedy and possibly hateful person in your eyes, as I am going to pick up a new 512Gb (1Tb if I get the option) Green S23 Ultra as my new contract phone AND keep my beloved faithful phantom black 512Gb Exynos S21 Ultra as a second phone as I love it too much to part with it!... Seriously!.. 🤣🤣. Hopefully, two years from now, I will feel the same about my S23 Ultra.👍
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
If you are happy with your current device and not one who necessarily needs the latest shiny thing, probably are looking for more than a marginal improvement. Two years on and with some of the upgrades it would be more than that, could come down to how important the camera is to you but sure it is also faster and more efficient. For those with budget constraints still may not be compelling enough at the moment though.
Whilst always those who are enticed straight away can be an argument for looking at reviews, hands on experience and learning from the early adopters.
Personally I have enjoyed my S21 Ultra and overall it has served me very well.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's all good @smiley  👍 

I've always said _ You do you _

Especially when it comes to decisions like these.

I always follow a step by step process myself before pulling the trigger.

Take care.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Same here got my S21 ultra 16gb 512gb since preorder and quiet happy with it.

Still on the fence to jump or not.

Reasons to upgrade would be
1. Newer chip
2. Better cameras
The back-light photos I saw look awesome.
Videos seem to be almost on par with iPhone 14 Pro max albeit a bit saturated.
3. Faster storage so speedy phone hopefully.
4. Built in Spen as my s21 ultra looks bulky with the case spen.
5. Extra two years of security upgrades.

Reasons I don't wanna upgrade.
1. S21 ultra still ticks all the boxes.
2. Most of the software updates to cameras will trickle down to the S21 ultra.
3.12gb is a downgrade from my 16gb.
4. No freebies beside the storage bump in the UK atleast.
5.Cant decide whether I should really trade in my Fabulous S21 ultra.