Did you mean: 

Pictures vanished after processing

(Topic created on: 08-01-2024 02:14 PM)
Bondo
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I have a Samsung S23 Ultra 256GB,

Yesterday I took loads of pictures (around 200+) and even viewed some of them on the Gallery App. All of them were visible yesterday.

I've gone to have a look at them today and there is only 107. These relate to family history I'm looking into hence fairly important.

I noticed yesterday and overnight the Photo Processing was endlessly going on and was at 16 hours as of this morning.

I have looked online and cannot find any instances of this happening. I've checked the recycle bin, temp files, connected to my computer etc and simply cannot locate these files. They have simply vanished.

I do not have cloud backup/sync enabled so they would not be on those locations. The Gallery and camera app are up to date and cache has been cleared

Any ideas please?

10 REPLIES 10
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Do you have Google Photos
Or Amazon Photos enabled
You may find some there
If you have them enabled
0 Likes
Bondo
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

No - I don't use any cloud backup app

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
You could give bellow a try
It may help

• Unlock your Android device and go to My Files app (or the file manager).

• Tap the three dots icon in the top-right corner and choose Settings. Then, enable Show hidden system files option and return back to the My Files screen.

• Select Image category. Then, tap the Search icon, type "nomedia" into the bar and tap Search.

• From the results, tap the photo(s) with .nomedia file extension and select the Delete icon from the bottom to remove the file(s).

When all the .nomedia files are removed, go back to your Gallery app and it should now show you all the lost pictures on Android phone.
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Bondo presumsbly have thoroughly checked device and  photos not in files.   Try settings-App-Gallery-clear cache, additionally ensure Back up is tuened on in Google photos.  once processing issue seems to be sorted restart device.  

othewise could try wiping cache partition

1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect To Computer or plug in USB-C Headphones , Press and hold the Volume Up key and then press and hold the Power key
3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys keys.
4. Wait until the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6. Press Power key to select.
7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

May also wish to Reset the Camera.

However sometimes there can be issues and I would say it is imperative to have back up in Cloud and Local Storage.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Bondo
Journeyman
Options

Hi - Yep have tried this but with no response. Nothing returns 'nomedia'

0 Likes
Bondo
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I don't use Google Photos, however I have enabled it for this test and the pictures are still missing.

I have cleared the Cache Partition to no avail, pictures are still missing.

I do use Synology Drive (Local NAS) to backup pictures but that only happens when I'm connected to my Local Lan and the app it self is a bit pants (That's another story), that only started syncing AFTER I restarted my phone in the hope to try and find these files. It has only backed up the files it can see (107).

The core issue still exists, the pictures were processing, and have then gone missing. I was even looking at one of the missing pictures yesterday. There is simply, no trace of these files what so ever.

Bondo
Journeyman
Options

So it appears this has happened again. I was at an event yesterday and was asked to take some pictures of people etc, I took 3 picture of everyon each. In some circumstancs there is only 1 picture out of 3 that has savd and in some cases, it's not even saved any!

Prior to making this thread last week, I contacted Samsung on Livechat and asked them to raise a ticket to investigate this. I am still awaiting for them to raise this ticket.

0 Likes
neil83
First Poster
Options
I am having the same issue. Did you ever get this resolved ?
0 Likes
Bondo
Journeyman
Options
Hi,

Ended up factory resetting the phone but now carry around a usb drive to backup photos. Never heard from Samsung on this, raised a ticket as requested, it was closed and no feedback provided.
0 Likes