Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra Screen Refresh Rate Issue / Jerky Videos

(Topic created on: 23-02-2022 11:28 AM)
Theriion
Apprentice
Options

Hi there.

I just received my new S22 Ultra. I love every bit of this phone however I do notice an issue with refresh rate when set to "adaptive". When watching videos it looks like the image is jerky. Not sure if it a sudden and quick screen refresh rate drop or something else but it is very noticeable specially when watching high quality videos.

Would this be fixed with an update or there is an issue with the phone? I really don't want to send my phone away for replace or anything. 😞

Does anyone else have issues with FPS when set to high / adaptive?

Btw I tried lowering the resolution ect but it seems only the screen refresh rate setting is affecting the phone 

Anyways. Please let me know your thoughts.

Stay safe all

34 REPLIES 34
ZeroMagnitude
Journeyman
Options
I'm also getting some jerkiness on my unit. It wasn't present in my Note20 Ultra 5G either. I also can feel a slight delay when typing with Gboard etc. or switching apps, and something feels a bit off with scrolling webpages too.

I think it's software. Hope it's software.
Andreugv
First Poster
Options

Same issue here. It feels to me like a thermal throttling. This thing gets hot, fast. Did not have any issue with S21 Ultra, this feels like a downgrade right now.

0 Likes
Theriion
Apprentice
Options

Right. I did some investigating and here is what I find.

When adaptive image smoothness is set the screen refreshes at 120hz when phone is in use / interacted with....

So when you scroll the home screen or Facebook feed ect it all looks sharp smooth and wonderful.

However when watching videos I can see this jerkiness. Unless I revert back to 60 Hz which I don't want on the phone that is so expensive.

Issue is with Adaptive Motion Smoothness - 100%. Why I know this. If you play a video and just look at the screen it will be jerky but if you play the same video while holding your finger on (touching) the screen then phone will take it as an interaction with the screen and will keep working at 120hz. As soon as you let go of the touch it will think you are not interacting with it and will slow the refresh rate down to save the battery.

I truly hope Samsung will solve this with the update so that phone knows that playing games or watching a video counts as interaction with the screen and will keep 120hz.

Take a look yourselves guys and let me know what you think ... 

Samsung - please look into this issue and it is not acceptable on the flagship device.

Thanks for reading :smiling-face:

Stay safe all!

Regards

Theriion

Petmiz05
First Poster
Options

Same issues while watching football matches, jerk all the way, painful to watch. 

Only solution that seems working is to adjust the brightness to less than 15% then the refresh rate would be locked on 120hz.

Hope Samsung could fix this quick because I Watch a lot of football using the device

0 Likes
Mpawood
Student
Options

I have the same problem with my s22 ultra as well, even with the new update released today, the video still stutters, turns out if you put the fps counter on through developer settings, it automatically changes the refresh rate during video playback. I can't see how this hasn't been fixed yet as i would assume it's an easy one to have video playback locked at 60fps when videos are detected wouldnt really be a problem. Very annoying.

kavita_2
First Poster
Options

yeah, this is the exact explanation for the problem

0 Likes
HoppedUp
First Poster
Options

Seems that video playback stays at most 24 fps, using the fps overlay in the dev options.

0 Likes
M BARFIELD
First Poster
Options

I see the same thing when unlocking the phone, where the video lock screen stutters. On locking and unlocking again in short succession it's super-smooth, so it seems to be when it's left for some time. There was a CPU throttling change in the latest security update but it didn't seem to make a difference.

0 Likes
jpaulocardoso
First Poster
Options

I'm facing exactly the same problem... Facebook videos are not playing smoothly, it started to happen after I changed my screen resolution to WQHD+, but it can be just a coincidence.

0 Likes