Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra Camera Fatally Flawed.

(Topic created on: 01-01-2024 07:38 PM)
Avesovum
Apprentice
Options
The Samsung S22 Ultra, hailed as a top-tier smartphone, falls short in its camera capabilities. Touted for excellence, it disappoints with photo quality that fails to meet the mark. Shockingly, the pictures are marred by graininess and blur, a significant letdown from a brand celebrated for its camera technology. This problem is starkly apparent in low-light situations, where one would expect sharp, clear images but instead receives photos lacking in detail and definition. For a premium smartphone, this subpar performance is not just unexpected; it substantially detracts from the user experience. The camera's inadequacy is a critical flaw for photography enthusiasts, overshadowing the phone's otherwise remarkable features. My patience is wearing thin; if Samsung doesn't rectify this issue promptly, I'm inclined to abandon the brand altogether. It's frustrating to invest in a high-end device, only to receive image quality reminiscent of technology from 15 years ago.
12 REPLIES 12
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Have to say that my S22 Ultra was great. Loved the cameras on that. And I love my photography.
Especially using Pro Mode.
What things have you tried to remedy the issue?
Like clearing the camera Cashe etc
Have you had the phone looked at?
Did you buy the phone new from Samsung or another retailer?

Honestly my old S22 Ultra, I really couldn't fault. I even did a post comparing it to my full frame Mirrorless camera
Avesovum
Apprentice
Options
Indeed, some users haven't had any camera troubles, but others started facing difficulties post the One UI version 6 upgrade. My camera was working seamlessly before the update. It seems like there might be a compatibility issue between the software and hardware. However, it's quite sluggish on Samsung's part to not conduct extensive beta testing before releasing the update to the public. It appears they rely on their customers to serve as a testing ground for resolving problems.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
That's how all beta tests work. Do you think Samsung are the only company in the world who rely on the general public/customers to test their products?
0 Likes
Avesovum
Apprentice
Options
And so the camera should work flawlessly with the stable version release.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
And for the overwhelming majority I imagine that is the case. I understand it's frustrating when things aren't working as you think they should, however you've presented this whole problem as though it's the situation for everyone.
0 Likes
Avesovum
Apprentice
Options
Its not things, it one function, How can I "think they should" when it clearly worked perfect before the update. This is my honest and unbiased review, and it's not up for debate.
schafxp1
Pioneer
Options

There must be  a bug in the whole S22 - basicfirmware (photo mode)  since 9/23.  Its not only the S22 ultra.  

The images have a huge amount of noise and are grainy.

Samsung has announced in May 2023 large  interventions in the processing to decrease noise    

LisaRenee
Apprentice
Options

I got the S22 a year ago when it first came out and the camera worked properly for maybe a day. It works when zoomed way out or waaaay in. Otherwise, it looks like an old VHS tape with bad tracking and it won't scan things like QR codes. Samsung said to reset it and update it. I did everything possible, but nothing worked and I always keep my phone updated. I waited for new updates and tried to get help through the phone company that I bought it through but now my warranty is up with them. I took it to a phone repair place and they said the 2 of the cameras have to be replaced for $100 bucks each. 😞

kanallie
Explorer
Options

Hi there,

Tried everything from clearing the cash to a full wipe. Nothing helps. The fotos of my s22u are absolute catastrophic compared to my wifes p7 pro. 

A slight workaround is to install one if those gcam apps and search for a more or less better set of configs. There is no fun in all of this.

This is my first Samsung device and I love absolutely everything - but the camera since the last miui update.

If there will be a fix, there will be a new Samsung device for me. Otherwise I'll go back to Google.

Regards

Kanallie

0 Likes