Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is device health forcing McAfee Antivirus on me?

(Topic created on: 14-03-2023 07:42 AM)
MadMacs
Student
Options
My S21s device health keeps telling me that its health status is Great, but could be better if I installed McAfee Antivirus on the phone. I already have F-Secure installed as recommended by my banking application which again only recognises F-Secure as THE valid Antivirus app. @SamsungMobile, Why can't you just recognise that there is a working Antivirus application running on the device rather than a specific brand. At the very least it would stop the device care from constantly harassing me to install an App that I don't want!
4 REPLIES 4
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
I guess your phone might respond differently after installing a different virus scanner ? I.e. F-Secure ? In what way does the phone 'harass' you ?

In my usage, I find if i go into device health settings and run a scan with the in-built 'device protection' feature, then a simple device virus scan will run and complete. This is a completely free virus scan by MacAfee.

Upon conclusion the scan completes 'no threats found'. That is the end of the scanning for me. You can simply exit device care.

ONLY if pushing further into device settings to select advanced options does it then take you to some MacAfee purchase options...but this can be avoided.

The advanced option states :
"Tip: Protect your other devices with a special offer from MacAfee for Samsung users". Just avoid this...no problems.

Perhaps the usage of an external virus tool causes some confusion.
To be honest, most devices and in-built virus scanning are decent enough these days straight out ot the box. There is not much need to add third party security on top.

Personally I would be more intent on subscribing to a decent VPN client for privacy and protection, than with any additional virus scanning tools.

Smiley
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
no1knoreli
First Poster
Options
That is no help whatsoever when your phone is getting McAfee and euscan anti virus. You are no help and have no idea what you are talking about
0 Likes
MadMacs
Student
Options
What I was getting at Smiley is that my Phone health is being marked down because I haven't downloaded their brand of Antivirus. I have used McAffe in the past and whilst it is very good at responding to Zero Day alerts, malware, root kits, and ransomware, it is a very large application compared to most other Antivirus applications. When you add this to the fact that I am already getting F-Secure Mobile as part of the deal I have with my online banking (For up-to 5 devices regardless of OS or device type), it makes little sense to me, and I would like Samsung to be a little open minded about branding and just accept that I have AN industry standard Antivirus app running on my phone.
0 Likes
Ultra K
First Poster
Options

If you're still looking for a great VPN provider, I recommend PureVPN.  I have used them for the past 7 years.  I never had one bit of trouble. The customer service reps. are easy to understand, and respond quickly. O, one more thing, McAfee isn't that great of an anti virus. TotalAV is a lot less, and they offer a lot more extras at no charge. I'm really not kidding about these two place, I think they both have a free trial period? I just thought I'd put in my two cents .... 👍  

0 Likes