Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 screen protector

(Topic created on: 12-09-2021 06:58 PM)
Ashleigh1
Apprentice
Options

Hey, so I got my s21 and brought a glass screen protector but doesn’t recognise fingerprint. I’ve read that it come with a protector already built in but how good is this? Is it safe to scratch and drop? And what happens when it gets so damaged? How do I replace it? Will a normal plastic protector work without the already built in one?

10 REPLIES 10
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
The pre installed protector is just a film. It will prevent scratches, as for drops it will not protect it from breaking. You do need to peel the existing one off before installing the new glass one. Also register your fingerprints more then once. Registering 2 of the same finger really helps with response. I have always preferred tempered glass protectors. Whitestone dome glass is a good one and spigen do similar kits where you use uv glue for installation. Although the glass ones are tougher you can still break your screen if dropped. If your phone hits at the wrong angle it can still cause damage to the screen. They have saved my phone many times which is why I always purchase them for my phones.
Ashleigh1
Apprentice
Options

So I need to remove the protector already on there for this glass one to work? I don’t want to take it off in case it doesn’t and I can’t use it straight away! And this is the protector under the film plastic one with a lip to remove yeah?

0 Likes
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Yes, you do need to remove the existing screen protector before applying the new one. Once your new glass one is on its recommended to register your fingerprints again. If you didn't want to have the worry of your glass one not working with the fingerprint, you could always look for a good wallet case. I know the Whitestone dome is one of the best for the fingerprint. I can't say for sure that the one you have bought will. There are some that don't always work great.
Ashleigh1
Apprentice
Options

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help!

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Ashleigh1 

It's recommended to remove the factory fitted tpu screen protector before applying another type of protector.

Under Settings and then Display look for a toggle On saying Touch Sensitivity.

This increases touch sensitivity after applying a screen protector.

There are quite a few glass screen protectors on the market.

I wouldn't recommend the options that only have adhesive around the edges as they can pop off and leave a space between the protector and the phone's display sometimes causing dead spots. 

I personally use the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector as it adheres to the whole screen with a type of silicone adhesive and works very well with the finger print scanner.

The factory fitted screen protector is fine and pretty good quality, and protects the phone from scratches etc.

It could help to protect the display from a drop to stop scratches,  however even with a case and screen protector applied the phone can still be damaged depending on how high its dropped from and the angle it hits the surface and what type of surface it hits. 

However I prefer the feel of glass when replacing my screen protector.

Once the factory fitted screen protector needs replacing then it's a simple affair to peel it off, and the phone can then be used without one, however I wouldn't recommend to leave the display unprotected. 

There are other plastic tpu screen protectors available to buy and are pretty simple and easy to fit onto the screen or perhaps consider the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector or similar. They are not the cheapest the option to choose but in my opinion are one of the best. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

rogersdave77
Troubleshooter
Options
I had a glass protector on my note10....it didn't recognise finger print...I ended up removing it. Not going to waste my money on a screen for s21 ultra, just gonna stick with the factory protector
0 Likes
Crumbz
Apprentice
Options
I bought a thin glass screen protector with a circular plastic centre to help with fingerprint recognition. Initially, it was difficult registering my finger print but I found that once I applied more pressure to the cut out section, it worked well.
eirelav
First Poster
Options
I've just got an s21 but the smallest screen protector is 6.2" the screen is barely 6" ? Need help
0 Likes
DIGS 11
First Poster
Options

I've had my S21 Ultra 5G for < 1 year now and the only reason I am looking at this thread now is because my original "protective film" has started to bubble, one of which is right over the fingerprint location on screen!

Samsung have always maintained you don't need glass screen protectors because of their award winning Gorilla Glass so I never bothered.

Of course I always use my OEM Smart Clear View Cover so that affords a separate layer of physical protection. 

As such.. If the original "protective film" is bubbling, surely Samsung intended for this to stay on, and if it is bubbling surely this is a warranty issue???

0 Likes