Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with VPN over Hotspot

(Topic created on: 05-04-2021 04:43 PM)
John Patounas
Journeyman
Options

I have got 2 days ago my new Galaxy S21 Ultra and installed all the updates.

I have a problem and the VPN on my laptop wont connect when using mobile hostspot.

It is not a provider problem because i replaced the sim card to another phone (Huawei) and works without problem.

Please advise how can i solve this as i need it to work. I am working remotely and the VPN over hostpot is a must for me.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Just found something interesting, try using 3g only.

View solution in context

19 REPLIES 19
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you use a VPN on your laptop you are only protecting the data between your phone and the laptop. There is no protection between the hotspot and where you go on the Internet .Typically Android devices do not work with hotspots and APN. You may find an app that can do this and give you the protection you don't currently have.
John Patounas
Journeyman
Options

I am using VPN for corporate use to access files on a private network at the company premises.

So I need it to work.

It is unacceptable a phone worth 1500euro not to be able to do do it and I can do it with a 100euro phone.

This is something that samsung will have to fix ASAP.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Stock Android doesn't support this, it's not a Samsung thing. Here's a potential workaround How to Share a VPN Connection on Android Without Root | TechNadu

0 Likes
John Patounas
Journeyman
Options

And why I can do it with any Huawei,Xiaomi etc. stock Android without any workaround or rooting?

It is a Samsung problem and not an Android problem.

0 Likes
John Patounas
Journeyman
Options

@Pugs1957

I am not trying to share my VPN connection from my phone.

I just want to open the hotspot from my S21 Ultra and I want to connect to VPN from my laptop and not from the mobile.

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Just found something interesting, try using 3g only.
John Patounas
Journeyman
Options

@Pugs1957

Wow it worked !!! Using 4g or 5g is not working but through 3g it is.

Thank you so much.

Note20lower5
First Poster
Options

Same thing with me, i am about to sell my note 20 because of this exact same issue. literally on the phone with Samsung right now...

0 Likes
gc123
First Poster
Options

Same issue but VZ you can't switch to 3G. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes